Problems Updating patch R33.24 How do I fix?

Paul Rahn
Paul Rahn Member ✭✭
I have Quicken Premier Current Version r32.12 build 27.1.32.12 using Windows 10
This morning I got notification of an update R33.24
When attempting to run the update. It downloads but then get message Update Failed
Error message
The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w1443\base\ScreenShare\Quicken.Screenshare.exe' because it is being used by another process

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Is that "another process" a background process which backs up your hard drive to an external or network drive location?
    System Backup or other backup processes should not run when a software installation, Quicken or Windows or any other software package, is in progress.
    Please reboot Windows, keep your backup software on the back burner, then start Quicken and try Help / Check for Updates again.
    The file link in https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product hasn't been updated to the R 33.24 Mondo Patch file level yet. Wait a few hours for it to become available and use it as an alternative installation method.

Answers

• Very similar problem: "The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w604\base\bagent.exe' because it is being used by another process".
  • CA Lady
    CA Lady Member ✭✭
    Similar to above: C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w1464\base\RTPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process.
  • CA Lady
    CA Lady Member ✭✭
    Above should read 'RPMMigration' not 'RTPMMigration'.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Is that "another process" a background process which backs up your hard drive to an external or network drive location?
    System Backup or other backup processes should not run when a software installation, Quicken or Windows or any other software package, is in progress.
    Please reboot Windows, keep your backup software on the back burner, then start Quicken and try Help / Check for Updates again.
    The file link in https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product hasn't been updated to the R 33.24 Mondo Patch file level yet. Wait a few hours for it to become available and use it as an alternative installation method.

• chuckc197
    chuckc197 Member ✭✭
    I have no other backups running. I have checked all locations and rebooted. Also, I moved my quicken backup file back to the quicken folder and it still fails. Please offer a better answer.
  • chuckc197
    chuckc197 Member ✭✭
    The following is the error I receive, The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w5141\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process.
    What is the other process?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is has popped up a few times already it seems that some of the anti-virus programs are interfering with the install, and this is the result.  Others have had success on the install by turning off the anti-virus program.

Maybe Quicken Inc should be finding out what anti-virus software is doing this and maybe getting with the manufacture to white list MigrationTool.exe.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Paul Rahn
    Paul Rahn Member ✭✭
    FYI. I contacted Quicken Support. They had me backup my file, Validate it. I still had problems so they reference me to the link
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    and scroll a bit down. Click on the option that says Download the Latest Update (US Versions)
    Download the US Mondo Patch Update (334.81MB). Wait for the download to finish and click on the file.
    This updated my Quicken to R33.22 but got rid of the message that a software update was needed.
    Thanks UKR for your tip and thanks Quicken support for walking me through the process.
  • Paul Rahn
    Paul Rahn Member ✭✭
    Currently the link only upgrades to 33.22 and when I tried later I still got the upgrade notice. So I paused my OneDrive, disabled Windows Security Notification, turned off my TrendMIcro Virus program, Disabled Windows Security Virus protection. I then ran Quicken One Step Update and it worked. I then turned on Windows Security Virus protection. I am in the process of Starting up my security features again. It is a shame the Quicken couldn't find a better installation method that doesn't require one to make their computer vulnerable during the upgrade.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When a patch is in the "staged release mode" depending on the timing they might not have posted the patch to the manual update page, but "usually" the post a notice in this forum that has a link to the manual update, which is the case is:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7893464/windows-r33-xx-release-us
    Signature:
  • Raymikeva
    Raymikeva Member
    This is not a way to run a railroad, or a software company for that matter. Don't release an update until you have tested it. If you start getting reports like the above, pull the update down until you've figured it out. A software company that can't reliably update its own software does not inspire confidence among the user base. Senior management needs to have a talk with the development team, informing them that somewhere out there, the are programmers that can manage an update process, and they hope it is the current team.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Raymikeva, I have no trouble installing Quicken updates. It seems to me that it's either a Windows problem or security software one.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Signature:
  • Paul Rahn
    Paul Rahn Member ✭✭
    :) :Thanks for the update. I did get Quicken updated by Turning off my virus protection. Thanks for letting me know to look in the community forum a possible place for an early release and notifying me that they now have posted it in the standard place.
  • Boxter
    Boxter Member
    R33.24 error - file is being used by another process. I solved the problem by starting my Windows 10 computer in Safe Mode with Networking. In Quicken I went to Help>Check For Updates. It installed with no problem.
  • Guy K
    Guy K Member
    Paul Rahn's response on May 26 worked for me. Thanks Paul! OneDrive, TrendMicro, and Windows Security Notification all had to be turned off. Maybe Quicken could do a better job next time?
  • Donna F.
    Donna F. Member
    I am having the same issue. Unfortunately, I am not computer savvy and fear I may make it worse by 'fixing' it. This isn't right that we must jump through hoops just to get the update.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to know what the time line is to correct the certificate error problem with Quicken so I can get all my Windows turned back on so I can stay as secure as possible. With all this Ransomware issues going on I'm a bit uneasy with Quicken as it is.
This discussion has been closed.