Transactions Downloading from Bank of America without Accept/Decline opportunity

Options
Has there been a recent update? I generally only download from BofA 1x/mo and this time the process was entirely new. I had to specify the account to link, which attributes to include, the transactions downloaded in directly, it does not recognize duplications of paychecks and credit card payments (transfers) already entered manually, among other problems. The first time it downloaded, it changed my entire register. Balances did not reconciled back for years, so I reloaded a backup file from earlier in the month. The second time I could easily identify the limited number of downloaded transactions and just delete them as editing them to match memorized transaction format was more trouble than just typing them in manually.

If this was an update, you really messed up my perfectly OK arrangement. Is there any way to opt out or am I going to always have to enter BofA manually? Not a big deal - only about 30 transactions a month, but still a PITA.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @roneyg,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you are wanting to review and accept downloaded transactions before they are added to your register, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions and check to see that the checkbox for "Automatically add to banking registers" is unchecked (see below).

If it is checked, go ahead and uncheck it.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think that the selection for automatic transaction entry mode it is the problem.

roneyg said:
    I had to specify the account to link, which attributes to include, the transactions downloaded in directly, it does not recognize duplications of paychecks and credit card payments (transfers) already entered manually, among other problems.
    What this points out is that some of the information about the account information that Quicken uses to connect the account in Quicken to the online account changed and Quicken thinks it is dealing with a new online account.

So basically what Quicken was doing is presenting the "new online account encountered" kind of dialogs.
    And the linking of the online account to the existing one was the correct thing to do, but Quicken is going through the "add account" process not that normal download transactions process.

When you first add an account it doesn't matter what mode you are using, Quicken always puts all the transaction directly into the register, and there isn't any matching.  What's more might put in/change the opening balance.

I have no idea exactly what triggered to go into the "new account mode" instead "relink" or just "download transactions mode", but what you have described is exactly what you would expect if a person had a purely manual entry account and then changed to start downloading.

It should be a one time event.  Also you can restore from a backup and use this procedure to help clean the duplicate transactions up.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7179327
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • roneyg
    roneyg Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you both. I hadn't thought about checking preferences - I did and the automatic download option was NOT checked.
    I think Chris may be right and I hope it is a one-time glitch. As mentioned, I restored a backup from 5/21. I then proceeded to update all my other accounts with no issues. All transactions loaded into the preview area and my memorized naming and categories were applied. Now that I know what the new online account dialog box looks like I can safely avoid another download that completely trashes 20 years of transactions. I'll re-check this weekend just after I backup and see if the BofA account downloads new transactions in the normal way.