Does Quicken support the Fido U2F key specification - like using a Yubikey on Vanguard

PRD
PRD Member ✭✭
I'm considering getting a Yubikey to protect my logon on the Vanguard site. If I do so, will I be able to use Quicken's download functions to track buy, sell, etc transactions?
Thanks

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    just sharing for info - would have to read up on it -
    One of the most secure authentication methods is Fast Identity Online (FIDO) Universal Second Factor (U2F),
    an emerging universal standard for tokens with native support in platforms and browsers.
    https://blog.identityautomation.com/two-factor-authentication-2fa-explained-fido-u2f
    thanks for posting - learned some new tech today -
    [EDIT] - I've updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

Security keys

There are a few different types, so be sure to choose any key that supports the Fido U2F specification (which are universal 2-factor online security standards). Security keys typically cost between $18 and $50, and can be purchased online or through a trusted tech retailer.

The first time you use your security key at vanguard.com, you'll need to register the key so we can recognize it (and you) in the future. Once it's registered, log on to your account with your username and password as you normally do. When prompted, insert your security key into a USB port on your computer. You'll then need to touch the key physically. This lets us know you're a human and not a remote hacker.

Even if you use a security key, you'll still want to register for security codes in case you ever need to log on when you don't have the key in your possession, or log on from an unrecognized device.

Both security keys and security codes provide for 2-factor (or multifactor) identification, which makes it more difficult for unauthorized users to gain access to your accounts.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• PRD
    PRD Member ✭✭
    Well, you changed my title and the question. Unfortunately, that is not what I wanted answered. I know that Quicken doesn't support Fido U2F. What I want to know is if the download interface to Vanguard bypasses the Fido U2F setting since it is only accessing Vanguard in a read-only way using Direct Connect (as opposed to screen scraping). And I'm only asking about Yubikey, since that is what I am considering buying.

So, are there any Quicken users who download Vanguard transactions, and have told Vanguard to require Yubikey authentication?

Thanks.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    PRD said: I'm considering getting a Yubikey to protect my logon on the Vanguard site. If I do so, will I be able to use Quicken's download functions to track buy, sell, etc transactions?
    Well then, yes, changed the title to better reflect the wider keyword search and topic discussion
    As for your original question - didn't change a word - so guessing the answer is - NO - unless the default 2FA works.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878049/fido-security-keys-securing-my-financial-data#latest

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It has been my experience that none of the multiple authentication systems affect Direct Connect.  It has its own separate security model.  Express Web Connect on the other hand would definitely be affected.  Note that Quicken only uses Direct Connect for any investment account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Stavros
    Stavros Member ✭✭
    I would love to see Quicken adopt a FIDO or related physical security key as a second factor authentication for local access of Quicken databases, both stored on local PC and in the Web sync database. Right now they are password protected but two-factor is a better model.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Stavros I suggest that you create an "Idea" thread for you suggestion so that people can vote on it.
    This thread isn't the right place because it isn't an Idea thread because it is for use at a financial institution, not for the Quicken databases.

Go to the Home page and select New Post.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • itskrayg
    itskrayg Member
    Using a security key, yubikey, with vanguard doesn't impact quicken's access to read the transactions/balance. It works fine for me.
This discussion has been closed.