How to network Quicken on local network.

buddyspal
buddyspal Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Using Quicken on the Web
I have 2 PCs running Windows 10 Home. For health reasons I must be able to access Quicken remotely within my network from the second PC. Is this possible? How can it be done.
Ed Menghi
[email removed - privacy]

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    This is VERY ill-advised.  Q lacks the "Lock", "Commit" and "Rollback" commands that are necessary to safely work on a network.  The 1st hiccup during a write operation will FRY your data file.
    Look into remote viewer software that will keep Q on a single machine and allow you to operate it from a 2nd.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• buddyspal
    buddyspal Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your quick answer. It is not my intention run Quicken on two machines. I do want to keep it installed on one PC but able to operate it from a second PC. I am running Windows 10 "home" which from what I can determine is not capable create a local VPN like Windows 10 "Pro". I have been on the net trying to learn and honestly I do not have the technical skills to understand how to set up a "VPN". I Can file share on my network but cannot access apps. Where do I go from here?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A VPN has nothing to do with remote viewing.  Keep looking.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• buddyspal
    buddyspal Member ✭✭
    Due to your help I found Google Remote Desktop. I was able to set it up and it works. Again thanks for your help in sending me into the direction I needed to go.
This discussion has been closed.