Venmo Downloads Note into Payee (Q Mac)

When downloading Venmo to Quicken for Mac Premium, the Note filed goes into Payee. I would expect Payee to go into Payee.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The "Statement Payee" shows exactly what is being downloaded from the financial institution, without any modification by Quicken. So if you are not getting the Payee name in the Statement Payee field, then the problem is with Venmo, not Quicken, and you're going to need to contact Venmo. (Or you could contact Quicken Support and try to get a support representative to watch your screen, confirm the problem with the data, and see if Quicken will escalate this with Venmo. But since it's not Quicken's fault, I don't know if that would go anywhere.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @rhbronstein

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community although, I apologize that you haven't received a response. I have a test I would like to perform to help me further isolate this issue.

Can you please open the Venmo account in Quicken and navigate to "Columns" in the bottom right-hand corner and add the "Statement Payee."

Once this has been added, does this show the correct payee or is this also listed as the memo/note?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • rhbronstein
    rhbronstein Member
    No, the Statement Payee is the same as the Payee.
    Thank you,
    Robin
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    The "Statement Payee" shows exactly what is being downloaded from the financial institution, without any modification by Quicken. So if you are not getting the Payee name in the Statement Payee field, then the problem is with Venmo, not Quicken, and you're going to need to contact Venmo. (Or you could contact Quicken Support and try to get a support representative to watch your screen, confirm the problem with the data, and see if Quicken will escalate this with Venmo. But since it's not Quicken's fault, I don't know if that would go anywhere.)
  • gptmegan
    gptmegan Member, Windows Beta Beta
    did you manage to get this resolved? I have the same question: payee is showing the memo instead of the payee for both Venmo and Paypal isn't bringing in the memo, just the payee. I feel like if Quicken is going to offer these two as downloadable - they should do the work on bringing it in correctly.
  • jacobs
    gptmegan said:
    did you manage to get this resolved? I have the same question: payee is showing the memo instead of the payee for both Venmo and Paypal isn't bringing in the memo, just the payee. I feel like if Quicken is going to offer these two as downloadable - they should do the work on bringing it in correctly.
    As noted above, if "Statement Payee" is showing the memo, then this shows the problem is on Venmo's end; Statement Payee is what they are sending to Quicken.
  • gptmegan
    I don't see 'statement payee' as one of my column options. If you download from Venmo, you get a csv with the fields "from" and "Note". I know you can use a third party application to convert the csv to qif or qfx so it comes in directly. I guess my main question is: why doesn't quicken build that in as well? or create rules for when they bring in info from Venmo or Paypal. They just need to map the field From to Payee...and Note to Memo.
  • jacobs
    Quicken doesn’t do individual field matching for every financial institution. There’s a standard — QFX (OFX) — they and many thousands of financial institutions use.

Are you downloading directly into Quicken, or downloading a file? If it’s a file, is it QFX/OFX? Those are the options. If you’re getting a CSV file and using a third party converter, then your issue is with the converter, not Quicken.

The Statement Payee field is visible in the Transaction Inspector.
  • gptmegan
    I'm bringing in directly from Venmo and Paypal. If i use the third party software, i can convert the csv to QIF or QFX and name the fields to be mapped.
    It's a shame that Quicken hasn't built it in as an option. I'll look for this "transaction inspector" you mentioned.
  • gptmegan
    Odd. maybe because i'm on the windows version. I searched help for transaction inspector and nothing came up. I have a column selector on the top right of my register, but statement payee isn't one of the choices. May be just for Mac.
  • jacobs
    gptmegan said:
    Odd. maybe because i'm on the windows version. I searched help for transaction inspector and nothing came up. I have a column selector on the top right of my register, but statement payee isn't one of the choices. May be just for Mac.
    @gptmegan Yes, this thread is a Quicken Mac section of the forum, so the response was regarding Quicken Mac. I'm pretty certain there must be a similar function in Quicken Windows, but since I've never used it, I can't point you in the right direction. You might want to post your question in a Quicken Windows section of the forum.
This discussion has been closed.