Quicken online sync with a new Morgan Stanley Cash Management account requiring MFA

Options
I am running Quicken Deluxe WIndows 10 Home version and recently opened a new Cash Management account with Morgan Stanley that requires MFA. When i go to do a One Step Update the update comes back with an error prompting me for my Morgan Stanley password. I enter and it then it shows "Success" but never prompts me for MFA. So it never does connect and download.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @stevenhazlett,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend saving a backup first (just in case). Then, please follow the instructions provided below.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• stevenhazlett
    stevenhazlett Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Here is the version information

[Photo edited to remove email - Privacy Concerns]
  • stevenhazlett
    Options
    Version R33.24
    Build 27.1.33.21
    Windows 10 Home
  • stevenhazlett
    Options
    Hi again, I did the sign out recommendation and then resigned back in. Still have the issue. It never prompts me for the Morgan Stanley MFA.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options
    The Direct Connect connection method does not use MFA.  I suspect you may not have enabled access by Quicken at the financial institution.
  • stevenhazlett
    Options
    Confused here. I do have access with Morgan Stanley and i set it up to require MFA. Are you suggesting i have to change something there? So Quicken doesn't support MFA connections to banks?
  • stevenhazlett
    Options
    Sherlock, i cannot see your latest reply.
  • stevenhazlett
    Options
    My notifications show you posted something at 2:18 pm PST, but i do not see it Refreshed my screen multiple times.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Confused here. I do have access with Morgan Stanley and i set it up to require MFA. Are you suggesting i have to change something there? So Quicken doesn't support MFA connections to banks?
    Yes.  You have to change something there.  

Quicken supports three different connection methods for obtaining our data from financial institutions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

The financial institutions decide which if any of the connection methods they support.  The Express Web Connect and Web Connect connection methods connect to the financial institution's web site and will need to use MFA if required by the financial institution's web site.  The Direct Connect connection method does not use MFA as we're not connecting to the financial institution's web site. 

Morgan Stanley - Cash Management and Morgan Stanley Wealth Management only support the Direct Connect connection method.  

To use the Direct Connect connection method to access your account at Morgan Stanley you need to enable access at Morgan Stanley.  

I set up our Morgan Stanley account some time ago and have not been able to locate the instructions I followed.  I have noticed that the computer we use for Quicken, is a registered device.  

I suggest you sign in to your Morgan Stanley account using a browser on the same computer you will be using Quicken, select Services > Security Center or go to https://mso.morganstanleyclientserv.com/shell/app#/self-service/security-center, select Edit in the Additional verification region to the right of Device registration, and follow the directions.

• stevenhazlett
    Options
    I have access already setup with Morgan Stanley so i am good there. Just wanted to get the account to sync with my Quicken. So bottom line, Morgan Stanley only works with a Direct Connect connection and that does not allow MFA. So to get my Quicken to work with the Morgan Stanley account i would have to disable the MFA requirement. Correct again?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have access already setup with Morgan Stanley so i am good there. Just wanted to get the account to sync with my Quicken. So bottom line, Morgan Stanley only works with a Direct Connect connection and that does not allow MFA. So to get my Quicken to work with the Morgan Stanley account i would have to disable the MFA requirement. Correct again?
    No. 

If you've been specifying Morgan Stanley - Cash Management, I suggest try using Morgan Stanley Wealth Management instead.

Otherwise, you may find more efficient to contact Morgan Stanley customer service to help resolve your issue.
This discussion has been closed.