ANY connection to Quicken modifies & deletes transactions in my data file - unusable software

LAScott
LAScott Member ✭✭
I have an accurate back up file from May 4th. A few days later I restored from that backup, but whenever Quicken connects to sync my accounts or anything it automatically deletes transactions in my file (over 10 years of data) making all of it useless.

I have tried everything:
Turning off Quicken Cloud
Deleting accounts synced to cloud
Resetting quicken cloud
Restoring from backup without using cloud

And every time it somehow does a sync with Quicken's servers and causes the deleted transactions. I've reported a problem, called quicken support (utterly useless, btw), and am basically told it's nothing on Quicken's end. I wasn't offered any kind of resolution, just "sorry not us". This is a problem in the software when I restore from backup and have all Quicken Cloud functionality turned off and it STILL deletes transactions from the data file.

Quicken support ticket # 8650336. Quicken has all my logs and details, fix this or offer a refund.

Best Answer

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You might try bypassing the restore process and open the backup file directly. At least back in the day, the backup was just a windows copy of the data file with a different extension. I'm not aware that it has changed.

Make a copy of the backup and change the file extension to QDF. Hold the CTRL key to open Quicken to a blank file screen. Then open the renamed backup using the File menu.  You could also run a validate/repair on the renamed backup prior to opening. Shot in the dark.

Answers

• markus1957
    Have you tried restoring from the backup, turn sync on, go to mobile tab and deselect all accounts from mobile sync, let quicken do its thing with that and then reset cloud file with no accounts set for sync? Then turn sync off.
  • LAScott
    LAScott Member ✭✭
    Yes, but the problem happens before that. Whenever I restore from backup, even if I choose just look at the data by itself, there's some kind of connection to Quicken that happens without my clicking anything where it will then delete transactions. From what I can tell it's years worth of transfer transactions, which is what makes the accounts inaccurate.
  • markus1957
    Have you tried a restore disconnected from the internet to prevent that first sync? Then connect to internet, reset cloud file, then unselect all accounts from mobile sync and finally turn sync off.

Another method to try is from a new data file, delete the cloud file from the problem account. Then try the restore.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at Edit / Preferences / Startup and make sure that "Download transactions when Quicken starts" is not checked.
    Now restore your data file and turn sync off.
  • LAScott
    LAScott Member ✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    > Have you tried a restore disconnected from the internet to prevent that first sync? Then connect to internet, reset cloud file, then unselect all accounts from mobile sync and finally turn sync off.
    >
    > Another method to try is from a new data file, delete the cloud file from the problem account. Then try the restore.

Tried this and even with no internet connection Quicken is deleting transfer transactions. So good to know it's not related to syncing, it's something in Quicken that deletes the data when restoring a file. Am I SOL until an engineer at Quicken figures this out?

> @UKR said:
    > Take a look at Edit / Preferences / Startup and make sure that "Download transactions when Quicken starts" is not checked.Now restore your data file and turn sync off.

This has always been disabled, but turns out it's not a syncing issue.
  • LAScott
    LAScott Member ✭✭
    To provide further info, when I have my computer disconnected from the internet and I do a restore from backup, all of the accounts show the correct amounts briefly. Then the cursor does a "thinking" animation as Quicken is doing something (?) and it deletes the transfer transactions in the accounts, and all of it is then inaccurate.
  • LAScott
    LAScott Member ✭✭
    It's deleting all the MiscInc and Contribx transactions in my IRA accounts and all Transfer transactions in my other accounts. How do I stop this?
  • markus1957
    Answer ✓
    You might try bypassing the restore process and open the backup file directly. At least back in the day, the backup was just a windows copy of the data file with a different extension. I'm not aware that it has changed.

Make a copy of the backup and change the file extension to QDF. Hold the CTRL key to open Quicken to a blank file screen. Then open the renamed backup using the File menu.  You could also run a validate/repair on the renamed backup prior to opening. Shot in the dark.
  • LAScott
    LAScott Member ✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    > You might try bypassing the restore process and open the backup file directly. At least back in the day, the backup was just a windows copy of the data file with a different extension. I'm not aware that it has changed.
    >
    > Make a copy of the backup and change the file extension to QDF. Hold the CTRL key to open Quicken to a blank file screen. Then open the renamed backup using the File menu.  You could also run a validate/repair on the renamed backup prior to opening. Shot in the dark.

Final update, this seemed to work. Renaming the backup to .QDF and opening it that way INSTEAD OF restoring from backup seemed to not have the incorrection functionality where Quicken would delete transactions.

THANK YOU for your help, I'm relieved there was a solution. However the minute there is equivalent software that has the same features and functionality as Quicken Business & Rental, I'm switching to that.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    LAScott said:

THANK YOU for your help, I'm relieved there was a solution. However the minute there is equivalent software that has the same features and functionality as Quicken Business & Rental, I'm switching to that.
    People have been saying this for at least 30 years. Somehow all the "competitors" have yet to step up to bat to provide such a product.  I personally think that it will never happen.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.