Bug in Credit card transaction entry

Some credit cards offer bonus credits which I can redeem when making purchases. When I manually enter the expense, and the credit as a slpit, Quicken handles these credits in two different ways. This is completely repeatable, and consistent behavior (At least on my original version R16.22 build 27.1.16.22, and also updated R33.7 build 27.1.33.7).
The expense is entered in the split window as a positive number, and the credit is entered in the split window as a negative number.
The two cases that arise, are the following:
1) Expense1 = $100 Credit1 = $ -20 Net $80 expense
2) Expense2 = $100 Credit2 = $ -100 Net $ 0
When producing the Itemized Category reports, the amounts are inverted, so they are reported as:
Expense1 $ -100
Credit1 $ 20
Expense2 $ 100
Credit2 $-100
Transaction 2 with a zero net is inverted in reporting.
The expense totals are also incorrect on the Spending by Category reports.

As a result, the total amounts for each category are incorrect.
Total expenses are actually $ -200, Total credits are $120
Quicken reports ( for this example )
Total Expenses $0 Total credits $ -80
Would it be possible for Quicken to fix this?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    R33.7...are you running the Canadian version?  Just want to make sure so the right people can respond to you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is more like a bookkeeping technicality plus one incorrect data entry..
    The Itemized Categories report correctly shows Income, your credits, as positive numbers and Expenses, your purchase amounts, as negative numbers.
    The transaction Expense1 is a net $80.00 expense transaction. Quicken wants you to enter this in the register as $80 charge (or $-80 Amount), then Split as Expense1 +100,  Credits -20
    The transaction Expense2 is a net $0.00 transaction, thus considered an Income transaction and your Splits must be entered Expense2 -100, Credit +100
    Confusing, but in the end it'll all come out right:

• PG36
    PG36 Member
    UKR;
    Yes, I can fudge the numbers to make it come out right, but it is absurd to sometimes enter an expense as a positive number, and sometimes as a negative number. I am a civilian, not a CPA.
  • PG36
    PG36 Member
    bootmaniac;
    Yes I am running the Canadian version