How to manually reset matching transaction list in investment account.

I have 3 scheduled transaction in my IRA account in "Manage Bills and Income Reminders" that occur every 2 weeks. 2 for taxes withheld fed/state and one to transfer funds into checking account.

When I download the IRA account all transactions match but they match an earlier date(by 2 weeks).

How do I correct this? I can unmatch the transaction but there is not an option to do a manual match like there is for checking accounts.

Thanks,

Jim

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Try turning off "automatically accept downloaded transactions" and see if you can change that before the new transaction is accepted into the register.
    Are the reminders executed to make register transactions before you download?

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• jim@1
    jim@1 Member ✭✭
    Yes the transactions are automatically entered 30 days in advance. (I like to see what is coming up)
    Auto-Accept is disabled at the account level and globally in preferences. I always review and manually accept transactions.
    I also have Transfer Detection set to confirm vs auto
    Thanks
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you need to enter scheduled reminders 2 or more iterations in advance, "just to see what is coming up". Correctly set, the register views, the Bill & Income Reminder views, the Projected Balances view and a few others will show multiple future iterations of a reminder to give you the information you need to see.
  • jim@1
    jim@1 Member ✭✭
    I agree with your post. It is just a personal preference.

Everything seems to be working. Downloaded transactions show matched but hey are matching to the previous entry not the current/correct one.

I am looking how to resync the account so the downloaded transaction matches the correct date.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I thought, this question has nothing to do with automatic transaction entry mode.
    This problem has to do with the way Quicken does transaction matching.

One might think that Quicken would use the date in the transaction in the register, and the one in the downloaded transaction to line these up, but it doesn't.  Quicken will pick the transaction that matches that has the earliest date.  And note it doesn't care if the transaction is in the reconciled state or not (at least it didn't in the past, I haven't tested the behavior in quite some time.  And I have never tested the behavior in investment accounts)

In the past that might have resulted in matching a transaction that could be years old.
    These days I believe they have rolling date range of about 60 days.

What gets a transaction off of the list is it being matched to a transaction.  So say you make the mistake of deleting the downloaded transaction, but still have the manually/reminder entered transaction in the register.  Well then that transaction is still going to be on the list of transactions to match, and being the "earlier one" will be what it is going to match.

In the non investment account this could be "corrected" by either using a very obscure key sequence to bring up a dialog to mark the fields it uses for this purpose (downloaded Id/date) or use the manual match (long enough to get past the rolling date range).  Ctrl+Shift+Right Click -> Copy Transaction:

The investment registers don't have either.  You can un-match, but you can't then manually match to another transaction.

Now note that I have never tested the "rolling date range" in an investment account, hopefully it is there so that you can eventually work out of this.

The only way I can think to get back on track is to first un-match the transaction.
    Then delete the transaction is suppose to match to, and then accept the downloaded transaction (which is now in the New state).

The hope is that eventually you will be past the matching window for that first transaction, and will be able to stop doing this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jim@1
    jim@1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris

I think I will try to make some work around transactions. A little messy but I think it might work.

take the entry that QW is trying to match(earlier date) and change the amount to half. Then manually enter another transaction to make up the other half. Use the memo field to put in what I did. Getting older and CRS haha

I'm thinking that QW will then match the current date transaction to the downloaded transaction because the amounts match.

Then going forward everything should match.

I'll try this and let you know in 2 weeks when the next transaction is downloaded.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I actually tried that way of doing the workaround and it can work, but just seemed a bit more messy than the way I first suggested, so I didn't put it in.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jim@1
    jim@1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris. I will give both a try