Will there be a conflict if I have 2 quicken products installed on 1 computer

Currently using quicken deluxe for a few individuals on my computer. I now need Quicken Home and Business for myself. Will 2 different installations cause a problem or must I upgrade?

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can only have one instance of Quicken installed on a Windows computer.  To have a second instance of Quicken installed would require having the second copy of Quicken running in a Virtual Machine running a second Windows license or on a second bootable partition with a second Windows license.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Once you have Home & Business installed, you can use that for all your different data files; you shouldn't need to maintain Deluxe.

Will you need to turn the data files back over to the other people whose work you are doing, and they will only have Deluxe? Even if that will happen in the future, I believe opening a file used with Quicken Home & Business in Quicken Deluxe will work fine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken Deluxe and Quicken Home and Business isn't two different programs, they are the same program.

What decides what "edition" you get is what license the Quicken Id is tied to.  And on any given machine only one Quicken Id can be logged in at a time.  If one user logs in with Quicken ID X and then another logs in with Quicken ID Y, that will log out the first user from Quicken ID X.

So in theory you could switch back and forth with two different Quicken IDs, but you would be constantly having to log in when you start up.

On the other hand if the subscription/Quicken ID is Home and Business all the users could just use that edition and just not use the features that aren't in Deluxe or above.  There isn't any limit on the number of users that can use a given subscription.  But note if you sync to Mobile/Web then anyone with the Quicken ID and password would be able to access all the data sets/accounts that are synced to Mobile/Web.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • SAMDMM
    SAMDMM Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Jacob and Splasher! Both of you have answered all the follow-up questions I didn't know to ask. Much appreciated.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can only have one instance of Quicken installed on a Windows computer.  To have a second instance of Quicken installed would require having the second copy of Quicken running in a Virtual Machine running a second Windows license or on a second bootable partition with a second Windows license.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Once you have Home & Business installed, you can use that for all your different data files; you shouldn't need to maintain Deluxe.

Will you need to turn the data files back over to the other people whose work you are doing, and they will only have Deluxe? Even if that will happen in the future, I believe opening a file used with Quicken Home & Business in Quicken Deluxe will work fine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken Deluxe and Quicken Home and Business isn't two different programs, they are the same program.

What decides what "edition" you get is what license the Quicken Id is tied to.  And on any given machine only one Quicken Id can be logged in at a time.  If one user logs in with Quicken ID X and then another logs in with Quicken ID Y, that will log out the first user from Quicken ID X.

So in theory you could switch back and forth with two different Quicken IDs, but you would be constantly having to log in when you start up.

On the other hand if the subscription/Quicken ID is Home and Business all the users could just use that edition and just not use the features that aren't in Deluxe or above.  There isn't any limit on the number of users that can use a given subscription.  But note if you sync to Mobile/Web then anyone with the Quicken ID and password would be able to access all the data sets/accounts that are synced to Mobile/Web.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • SAMDMM
    SAMDMM Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Jacob and Splasher! Both of you have answered all the follow-up questions I didn't know to ask. Much appreciated.
  • SAMDMM
    SAMDMM Member
    Oh, I must not forget Chris!. Thank you for your clarifying between the Quicken IDs and Quicken Editions. I will check out your website too.
This discussion has been closed.