How do I import Payee using a QIF file?

EMCSSteve
EMCSSteve Member
When I import transactions via QIF form the bank into Quicken Starter, it doesn't capture the payee - the field is empty. Any guidance. I am based in Australia and have changed the region to English (US).

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I use QuicknPerlWiz's ImportQif (www.quicknperlwiz.com) for mine and it works every time.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Edit the QIF file with a text editor like Notepad and see what the line starting with P is (or if it is there at all.
    C*
    D12/28/2010
    NN/A
    PDEPOSIT  ID NUMBER 379850
    T835.00
    ^

If it isn't correct then this is the fault of what/who is created the QIF file.
    If the there is a M line that is the memo line.  If it has the information you need in the memo you can use an option in ImportQIF to switch the payee and memo so that Quicken will see it.

Or if you can get it you can use ImportQIF with an Excel/CSV file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I use QuicknPerlWiz's ImportQif (www.quicknperlwiz.com) for mine and it works every time.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Edit the QIF file with a text editor like Notepad and see what the line starting with P is (or if it is there at all.
    C*
    D12/28/2010
    NN/A
    PDEPOSIT  ID NUMBER 379850
    T835.00
    ^

If it isn't correct then this is the fault of what/who is created the QIF file.
    If the there is a M line that is the memo line.  If it has the information you need in the memo you can use an option in ImportQIF to switch the payee and memo so that Quicken will see it.

Or if you can get it you can use ImportQIF with an Excel/CSV file.
    Signature:
  • EMCSSteve
    EMCSSteve Member
    Yes that is the issue - No P line - it starts with M. It doesn't look like Quicken Starter Edition has the switch option in the ImportQIF command - so I really like Splashers recommendation as it give lots of options like changing the date format to US style. Thanks to you both, very much appreciated
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will note that it doesn't matter what edition you have of Quicken (Starter, Deluxe, ...) you have the same limited options.
    Signature:
  • EMCSSteve
    EMCSSteve Member
    OK that is interesting - I couldn't find the option. File import gives me 4 choices - Web connect QFX, QIF, Quicken Transfer or Microsoft Money. Cant see an Excel/ CSV option. Import QIF allows choice of file, account to import to plus 5 check boxes re Include in Import - can's see a switch option. Am I looking in the wrong place? I couldn't see anything under Preferences either
    I appreciate your responses
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken doesn't import Excel/CSV files.  You need to use ImportQIF for that.

This comment:
    Chris_QPW said:
    I will note that it doesn't matter what edition you have of Quicken (Starter, Deluxe, ...) you have the same limited options.
    Was in reference to your statement:
    EMCSSteve said:
    Yes that is the issue - No P line - it starts with M. It doesn't look like Quicken Starter Edition has the switch option in the ImportQIF command - so I really like Splashers recommendation as it give lots of options like changing the date format to US style. Thanks to you both, very much appreciated
    Quicken's QIF import has "limited options" (for instance the ability to swap payee and the memo), and that doesn't matter which edition of Quicken you are using.

ImportQIF is the program with such options, including a conversion between Excel/CSV and QIF.
    Signature:
  • EMCSSteve
    EMCSSteve Member
    Sorry - didn't realise you were referring to another exe file - got it now, thanks
  • EMCSSteve
    EMCSSteve Member
    PS - it is a great program!!! It solved my issues
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad it is working for you.
    Signature:
  • EMCSSteve
    EMCSSteve Member
    I guess by the logo next to your name Chis_QPW that you developed ImportQIF and the material on the website. If so, my warmest regards and congratulations for making your tools available. They are well documented, easy to use and now the only reason I am continuing with my Quicken subscription. My heartfelt thanks to you.
This discussion has been closed.