Year end copy

Options
My current data file has information all the way back to 2014. When I created a current year copy, it didn't delete all the ancient information. How do I delete all the previous years data?

Answers

• Jay Jones
    Jay Jones Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have multiple previous years data. How do I delete it?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First, having data going back a decade or more is not unusual or inappropriate.  Many times I find myself searching back many many years to find a payee or purchase.  However, in response to your question, this is what the support articles says about year end copy data:
    The Year-End Copy may result in transactions outside the date range you specify remaining in your file. Any unreconciled transactions will remain in your file so you can accurately reconcile your accounts. In addition, investment transactions will be retained, regardless of date range, so Quicken can accurately calculate performance and return numbers for your investments. Quicken recommends retaining unreconciled and investment transactions in your data file. 

So, that may be why you have prior year data.  If you still want to delete something just highlight it and hit Cntl Del.  You should be able to highlight multiple items and delet the entire grouping if needed.

The complete Year End support article is:

https://www.quicken.com/support/creating-year-end-copy-end-calendar-year

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    See also this FAQ: FAQ - Year End Copy

If you think 2014 is ancient, my data going back to 1996 must be prehistoric, but I wouldn't remove it from my current data file for anything, it is an invaluable diary of my purchases.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've always thought the 'year end copy' function goes back to years ago when large data files were problematic, given the horsepower of early century PC's. 

My datafiles goes back to 1994 and have over 67,000 transactions - I have no issues running it through Quicken. 

I have not used the year end copy function since 2000.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mark1104 said:
    I've always thought the 'year end copy' function goes back to years ago when large data files were problematic, given the horsepower of early century PC's. 

My datafiles goes back to 1994 and have over 67,000 transactions - I have no issues running it through Quicken. 

I have not used the year end copy function since 2000.
    I always surmised it was due to the most common backup media, diskettes.  I remember my file using sets of 6 hi-density  3.5" diskettes and it took forever to make a backup, so it only got made once a month.  These days, I backup any day that I make changes in my data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list