Chase Visa Card Stopped Downloading Transactions

Options
Jnic
Jnic Member ✭✭✭
I just noticed that my Chase Visa credit card stopped downloading transaction about a week ago. Other related articles suggest that I deactivate and reactivate the account to see if that fixes the problem. I noticed on the "Account Detail" popup window the option to "Reset Account". Is that effectively the same process, just automated? If so is that the preferred process for trying to reestablish the transaction downloads?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    I usually recommend taking the least disruptive approach first and then work your way up the ladder from there.  The main reason for this is that the more disruptive the approach the greater the likelihood of running into potential connection issues that can be more difficult or more time consuming to resolve.  Here is the order of what I would do if I am having an issue like yours.  (BTW, I have a Chase Freedom Visa card and have been having no download issues so what you are experiencing is not a general issue with Chase.):
    1)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update now:  This is essentially OSU but it is specific to only the selected account.  And, yes, sometimes this works when OSU does not work.  If this doesn't work...
    2)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account:  This is kind of a soft deactivate/reactivate which usually does not completely break the connection with the Financial Institution.  Sometimes you will be required to reenter your account login information but usually that is not required.  If this doesn't work...
    3)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > Set up Now > select Advanced Options > select Direct Connect > follow the prompts:  This is the deactivate/reactivate process and it will totally break the link with Chase and take you through the account setup process, again.  (Note: If you do not select Direct Connect from Advanced Options Quicken will default you to Express Web Connect which is not as good of a connection as Direct Connect.)
    • During the setup process you might be prompted by Quicken to decide what to do with the downloaded data file.  If that happens, be sure to select "Link to existing" and select the Chase Visa account you already have set up in Quicken.  Otherwise, Quicken might instead add a new Chase Visa account to Quicken.
    • During this process there might be transactions entered into register that are duplicates of what is already there.  If this happens, you will need to manually delete the duplicates.
    If this doesn't work...
    4)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > General tab > delete all Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set up Now > follow the remaining process in #3.
    If you are still having a problem getting downloads set up with Chase, go to your Chase.com online account and check to see if your account is still activated for Quicken.  To do this, once you are logged in do a search for "Quicken" and follow the prompts.   Then try Set up Now or Add Account, again.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Jnic

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. When it comes to reactivating/deactivating vs resetting the accounts it's mostly about what goes on in the backend when trying to collect the information from your accounts. Resetting account uses the same connection you had previously that would normally collect information but tries seeing if it can be reinitialized. 

Deactivating/reactivating sets up a new path that also makes a new connection to collect the information.

In short Resetting the account does work at times but at times it may not in which case deactivating/reactivating may fix the issue.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    I usually recommend taking the least disruptive approach first and then work your way up the ladder from there.  The main reason for this is that the more disruptive the approach the greater the likelihood of running into potential connection issues that can be more difficult or more time consuming to resolve.  Here is the order of what I would do if I am having an issue like yours.  (BTW, I have a Chase Freedom Visa card and have been having no download issues so what you are experiencing is not a general issue with Chase.):
    1)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update now:  This is essentially OSU but it is specific to only the selected account.  And, yes, sometimes this works when OSU does not work.  If this doesn't work...
    2)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account:  This is kind of a soft deactivate/reactivate which usually does not completely break the connection with the Financial Institution.  Sometimes you will be required to reenter your account login information but usually that is not required.  If this doesn't work...
    3)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > Set up Now > select Advanced Options > select Direct Connect > follow the prompts:  This is the deactivate/reactivate process and it will totally break the link with Chase and take you through the account setup process, again.  (Note: If you do not select Direct Connect from Advanced Options Quicken will default you to Express Web Connect which is not as good of a connection as Direct Connect.)
    • During the setup process you might be prompted by Quicken to decide what to do with the downloaded data file.  If that happens, be sure to select "Link to existing" and select the Chase Visa account you already have set up in Quicken.  Otherwise, Quicken might instead add a new Chase Visa account to Quicken.
    • During this process there might be transactions entered into register that are duplicates of what is already there.  If this happens, you will need to manually delete the duplicates.
    If this doesn't work...
    4)  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > General tab > delete all Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set up Now > follow the remaining process in #3.
    If you are still having a problem getting downloads set up with Chase, go to your Chase.com online account and check to see if your account is still activated for Quicken.  To do this, once you are logged in do a search for "Quicken" and follow the prompts.   Then try Set up Now or Add Account, again.

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Francisco & Boatnmaniac,
    Thank you for your timely and thorough responses. They are most appreciated and am sure they will help others as well.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    You are most welcome @Jnic .

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just a follow up for future members. Using the Reset Account process worked. Apparently Chase wanted an independent validation code verification of the account. It would have nice if they let me know rather than making me figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.