Capitol One [& Quicken?!] are RE-creating Accounts I've deleted

So, I'm up to speed on the whole Capitol One unique login deal.

To review for clarity, wife lost & cancelled her CC ending in ####.
Capitol One maintained (ie: seamlessly transitioned) from online access with old # to new #. (Same login credentials for User & PW still worked directly logging in).

Fast forward to re-establishing my Quicken OneStepUpdate DLs. Successfully reauthorized w/same credentials. But it NEVER gave me Quicken's "account matching" to an existing account option, it just, on it's accord, created a NEW CapOne CC acct (& proceeded to again DL in to it).

So I review those DLs, make sure the my "OLD acct w/the new #" are up to speed & ok. I am forced to accept the NEW acct TXNs before I can delete this new acct. I redo the whole new procedure for CapOne accts.

Nope. Quicken/CapOne NEVER asks to me match to an existing acct. It just willy-nilly creates that NEW acct. Did it like 5x in a row and now I'm reaching out.

Seems like a bug to me. Help & fix this?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree that the old credit card needs to be completely deactivated before trying to activate the new credit card but I think the instructions provided leave out one very important step:  Once the account has been deactivated (via the Online Services tab of Account Details) go to the General tab and completely remove all Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant of that view.  Only then try to setup the link for your new account. 
    While that old account has been closed at CapOne for new transactions, the old account history at CapOne is still active and will be for years.  When you try to set up CapOne, again, Quicken will download transactions from both the old and the new accounts.  If you do not first remove the Financial Institution information from the General tab, Quicken will try to link your account in Quicken to the old account data and will then set up a new account in Quicken for your new account data.  By removing the Financial Institution information from the General tab, Quicken should prompt you to decide what to do with data downloaded for both your old account and your new account.  Tell Quicken to disregard/ignore the old account data and for the new account data make sure to select "Link to Existing" and select your old account in Quicken.  Once completed, your account in Quicken will be linked only to the new account (and the old account transactions there will remain intact), Quicken will only download it into that account going forward and the old account data from CapOne will no longer occur.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• lopat08865
    lopat08865 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Boatnmaniac, you added the missing detail about clearing those GENERAL tab fields. Once I added that step the problem was solved. Thanks!

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @lopat08865

Thank you for reaching out the Quicken Community. I apologize that you are having this frustrating issue. In order to have the option "link to an existing account" you must first ensure that the credit card with the old number is completely deactivated. For instructions on that you may click here

Once you have deactivated the old account, go ahead and select Tools >Add Account. After entering your credentials/authentications then it should give you the option "link to an existing account." 

Let us know how it goes or if you are experiencing further issues. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    I agree that the old credit card needs to be completely deactivated before trying to activate the new credit card but I think the instructions provided leave out one very important step:  Once the account has been deactivated (via the Online Services tab of Account Details) go to the General tab and completely remove all Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant of that view.  Only then try to setup the link for your new account. 
    While that old account has been closed at CapOne for new transactions, the old account history at CapOne is still active and will be for years.  When you try to set up CapOne, again, Quicken will download transactions from both the old and the new accounts.  If you do not first remove the Financial Institution information from the General tab, Quicken will try to link your account in Quicken to the old account data and will then set up a new account in Quicken for your new account data.  By removing the Financial Institution information from the General tab, Quicken should prompt you to decide what to do with data downloaded for both your old account and your new account.  Tell Quicken to disregard/ignore the old account data and for the new account data make sure to select "Link to Existing" and select your old account in Quicken.  Once completed, your account in Quicken will be linked only to the new account (and the old account transactions there will remain intact), Quicken will only download it into that account going forward and the old account data from CapOne will no longer occur.

• lopat08865
    lopat08865 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Boatnmaniac, you added the missing detail about clearing those GENERAL tab fields. Once I added that step the problem was solved. Thanks!
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  And thank you for confirming that it helped resolve your issue.  It helps others to know that it worked for you so it might also work for them.

• lopat08865
    lopat08865 Member ✭✭
    You are welcome. I well appreciate your notice-of/suggestion-for resolving the specific details I posted. Deactivation/reactivation is totally intuitive. Clearing the FI & Acct# in another tab is not. Quicken should add your step to it's boilerplate answer. If/until then, your answer may help others so confounded.