Budget Disappearing

I've searched the quicken forums and found multiple posts about budgets disappearing. I would post to those questions, however they have all been closed and won't allow further comments.

I ran into this issue this morning where my budget suddenly disappeared. I don't accept the answer of "restore to your previous working backup" because that backup is 6 hours of work earlier. 6 hours of work that I can't get back, I may add, because those receipts have since been thrown away.

So, my question is: What is Quicken doing to address this problem?

I've been experiencing numerous problems with Quicken lately, and though I've been a loyal user since 2005, I'm thinking it's time to move to something else. Quicken can't keep up with its own complexity, and the problems with the program are now starting to outweigh the benefits.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record:
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release of Quicken are you using?   US, Canadian or other country version? What is your subscription expiration date?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
  • Nate O
    Nate O Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Just for the record:
    > What
    > version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release of Quicken are you
    > using?   US, Canadian or other country
    > version? What is your subscription expiration date?
    >
    > Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this
    > information.
    >
    > What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

Windows Premier Subscription Version - US Edition
    Windows 10
    Expiration date: April 2022
  • Jerry Ryan
    Jerry Ryan Member ✭✭
    edited August 22
    I just realized the same thing happened to me over the last week or so. I have no budget anymore (which was very detailed). By renaming backup files I found it happened sometime after 06/05/21.
    I'm running Quicken Deluxe vR33.24 Build 27.1.33.24 on Windows 10 Home laptop.
    And my subscription expires in 9 days, naturally not enough time to fix the issues & decide on something else to use. [Removed-Disruptive]
    So I'm supposed to recreate the last 1.5 weeks of my Quicken life..?
  • Joe12
    Joe12 Member ✭✭
    my budgets are all gone too... What is the solution? Quicken Home Business and Rental R33.24 27.1.33.24
  • Nate O
    Nate O Member ✭✭
    I have not found an actual solution in Quicken, this is a bug that they need to address, but I’m not hopeful.

The workaround is to constantly save backups: I’m talking like every hour. Then delete your older backups if everything seems like it’s working still.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you sync to Mobile/Web?

There have been reports of that sync doing strange things to the budget in the Quicken data file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Joe12
    Joe12 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I sync'd to mobile/web, as that is a "feature" quicken sells to us. Backing up every hour is a untenable solution. My assumption is that if the budgets are not in my current file, I have to restore backups until I find the one with the budget and then work forward again? Why does quicken have such quirks?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe12 said:
    Yes, I sync'd to mobile/web, as that is a "feature" quicken sells to us. Backing up every hour is a untenable solution. My assumption is that if the budgets are not in my current file, I have to restore backups until I find the one with the budget and then work forward again? Why does quicken have such quirks?

Let's try to eliminate the Sync process as a possible cause of your data file corruption.
    At this moment is your active data file "clean", with an existing budget and otherwise up-to-date?
    Do not Sync the file.
    Turn off Sync:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF
    Keep Sync off and monitor for a few days if the budget remains.
    If it remains OK and you must reactivate Sync because you do actively use the Quicken smartphone app or Quirken on the Web, turn Sync back on but make sure you reset Sync to Cloud so a fresh file is sent to the server:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    Do make sure you let Quicken create backups of your data file every single time you close Quicken. See Edit / Preferences / Backup.

• nivs1
    nivs1 Member
    edited August 15
    I have had this issue multiple times over the last year and just had this happen again this morning. I am tired of re-entering the transactions so going back to the previous backup is not an acceptable solution. Its amazing that this issue has been open for several years and yet to be solved.  [Edited - Unhelpful]
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem after updating to 35.23
  • Jbeach3
    Jbeach3 Member
    I had the same issue after upgrading to 35.23. I lost 7 years of budgets. There needs to be a way to back up and restore budgets and other planning items separately from the transactions. It's unacceptable to restore and lose transactions.

This has been an issue for years. I would not mind restoring a backed up planner which would not impact transactions. Quicken needs to fix this!
  • MeToo
    MeToo Member
    Same issue here after upgrading to 35.23. As stated by others in this thread, this is a major issue. A personal finances budgeting software loosing it's budgets is like a car loosing its wheels: you crash. Hope there is some prioritization given to solve this issue.
  • lewisfla06m
    lewisfla06m Member ✭✭
    Terrible!!! 1st time this happened to me, this morning. I'm so irritated. I have R34.27 (27.1.34.24).
  • Nate O
    Nate O Member ✭✭
    Do any Quicken employees check these forums? If so, do you have any plan to address this budget disappearing problem?
  • lewisfla06m
    lewisfla06m Member ✭✭
    > @lewisfla06m said:
    > Terrible!!! 1st time this happened to me, this morning. I'm so irritated. I have R34.27 (27.1.34.24).

I just restored back to the most recent that has my budget, about 2 weeks ago. Odd though, I had a few other budgets that I played with and also my ACTUAL budget, but those others are gone from this restored file. Well, at least for now I have my ACTUAL budget, just the one. And I disabled CLOUD SYNCH in case that it was caused this problem. And I had turned on cloud synch about 2 weeks ago, dang it. We'll see what happens going forward. Kinda dumb to have this problem. I've been a VERY LOYAL Quicken user for 20+ year.. close to 30 I guess wow. It's been working better the past year than ever before, until I hit this speedbump. I have mostly loved quicken, but occasionally been very close to walking away. Oh please let this thing keep working.
This discussion has been closed.