Can not see linked account for investment

kem16
kem16 Member ✭✭
I am trying to add an investment account that is not at a traditional brokerage, so I need to use the offline option. I want it to have a linked cash/checking account.

So I create the investment account, no problem. There is no linked cash/checking account, so I go into Edit Account Details and tick the radio button for Yes for that option ("Show cash in a checking account") and click OK. No checking account appears in the account list, not even when I look at hidden accounts. I open the Edit Account Details for the investment account again, and the radio button is now on "No" for "Show cash in a checking account."

It gets weirder... If I try to create a checking account with the name it ought to be ("Investment-Cash") it says that the account already exists. Yet I can't see it anywhere!

I would like to get this to work, but it's also just strange. In particular, I would like to import a QIF file for this account from an old file where it was set up this way, so I have a QIF for the investment account and a QIF for the linked checking account.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @kem16 my guess is the account name Investment-Cash may be a reserved account name used by the program. I would try renaming your offline investment account to a different name than Investment, then try creating the linked cash account once again. 

Also, the trick for accessing accounts that are not visible in the Account List, like the 401(k) tax impact account, is to create a transfer transaction in any other account, then  use the right click - Go to Transfer action to go to the non visible account. You will need to type the full account name including exact case enclosed in square brackets in the transfer transaction. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    That sure seems odd.  I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.   Just to be sure I understand it correctly:  When you set up the offline investment account, did you set it up as a brokerage account or some other type of investment account?
    Some ideas you might want to try if you have not already done so:
    • Go to Tools > Account List and lookd there to see if the separate checking account is listed there under "Spending".
    • Reboot your system and open Quicken to see if the issue is resolved.
    • Did you recently install Quicken or update the version?  If so, maybe the install did not complete properly.  You could try uninstalling Quicken, downloading a fresh copy from Quicken.com and then installing that.

• kem16
    kem16 Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > That sure seems odd.  I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.   Just to be sure I understand it correctly:  When you set up the offline investment account, did you set it up as a brokerage account or some other type of investment account?

Brokerage

> Some ideas you might want to try if you have not already done so:* Go to Tools > Account List and lookd there to see if the separate checking account is listed there under "Spending".

Not there

> * Reboot your system and open Quicken to see if the issue is resolved.

I will do so and report back

> * Did you recently install Quicken or update the version?  If so, maybe the install did not complete properly.  You could try uninstalling Quicken, downloading a fresh copy from Quicken.com and then installing that.

Actually, there was an update that I installed after this all was happening, but it didn't fix it.
  • kem16
    kem16 Member ✭✭
    I rebooted and it is still behaving the same way.

> @kem16 said:
    > > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > > That sure seems odd.  I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.   Just to be sure I understand it correctly:  When you set up the offline investment account, did you set it up as a brokerage account or some other type of investment account?
    >
    > Brokerage
    >
    > > Some ideas you might want to try if you have not already done so:* Go to Tools > Account List and lookd there to see if the separate checking account is listed there under "Spending".
    >
    > Not there
    >
    > > * Reboot your system and open Quicken to see if the issue is resolved.
    >
    > I will do so and report back
    >
    > > * Did you recently install Quicken or update the version?  If so, maybe the install did not complete properly.  You could try uninstalling Quicken, downloading a fresh copy from Quicken.com and then installing that.
    >
    > Actually, there was an update that I installed after this all was happening, but it didn't fix it.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken?

• kem16
    kem16 Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken?

I just did and it still says the cash account exists.
  • Boatnmaniac
    kem16 said:
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken?

I just did and it still says the cash account exists.
    So, it does not appear to be an installation or program issue.  That tends to point it to being an issue with the data file.  You might want to try the Advanced Data File Troubleshooting steps (https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows).  The first step under Overview is probably not applicable but the other steps could help identify and resolve the issue. 

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @kem16 my guess is the account name Investment-Cash may be a reserved account name used by the program. I would try renaming your offline investment account to a different name than Investment, then try creating the linked cash account once again. 

Also, the trick for accessing accounts that are not visible in the Account List, like the 401(k) tax impact account, is to create a transfer transaction in any other account, then  use the right click - Go to Transfer action to go to the non visible account. You will need to type the full account name including exact case enclosed in square brackets in the transfer transaction. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• kem16
    kem16 Member ✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > @kem16 my guess is the account name Investment-Cash may be a reserved account name used by the program. I would try renaming your offline investment account to a different name than Investment, then try creating the linked cash account once again. 
    >
    > Also, the trick for accessing accounts that are not visible in the Account List, like the 401(k) tax impact account, is to create a transfer transaction in any other account, then  use the right click - Go to Transfer action to go to the non visible account. You will need to type the full account name including exact case enclosed in square brackets in the transfer transaction. 

So that was the issue. I was able to create the investment account with a different name, and then the toggle to have a cash account stayed "on".

I don't know if it was the name I chose, or if I tried importing before creating the cash account. Now it's working, though.
This discussion has been closed.