American Express Error OL-293-A

Anyone else getting an error code OL-293-A for the American Express account update?

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

Our teams are aware and are further investigating this issue. While the investigation remains ongoing, please, refer to this open Community Alert for updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause in the meantime! Thank you.

Answers

• fnatale1
    fnatale1 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I'm getting an OL-293-A error this morning when I'm attempting to connect with Amex. I've tried several times and have made no progress. Last successful download from Amex for me was 6/14/21. I've confirmed my password and am able to login to my Amex account online without issue. Plenty of transactions are there that should be downloadable. Note that I'm using PC version of Quicken Premier R33.24
  • System
    System Member admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: AMEX Download Error 502 when updating online (Q Mac).
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @fnatale1

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Amex account. I'm wondering what exactly is causing the issue. To start off here have you looked at the troubleshooting steps from our OL-293 article? If not I would recommend we start with our troubleshooting there.

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-quicken-online-services-ol-293-or-ol-294

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps/options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• CyborgShadow
    CyborgShadow Member
    Getting the same error with American Express. Last able to download 6/28/2021. I can login to American Express with the account information in One Step update.
  • Txpete
    Txpete Member
    Getting the same error for Amex for the last few days. Doing the update from the account as per the article above does not help. Password is fine - I can log on directly to Amex using it.
  • quick20
    quick20 Member ✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue with AMEX and OL 293 A
  • digester
    digester Member ✭✭
    Same message on all three of my Amex accounts updates. Happening for several days now.
  • EllisGJ
    EllisGJ Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue here with American Express - OL293 / 294.
  • mrpaley1
    mrpaley1 Member ✭✭✭
    Started receiving this issue on my Amex this morning. Quicken Deluxe R34.16 Build 27.1.34.16 Windows 10 Home
  • schmidtj
    schmidtj Member ✭✭
    Add my name to the list. It's been happening on and off for over a week now.
  • Ron Hersch
    Ron Hersch Member ✭✭
    Please report this problem
  • Mark Wagner
    Mark Wagner Member ✭✭✭
    Using "Edit account details", selecting "Online Services", and then doing a deactivate/reactivate fixed it for me. during the reactivate process I did receive an error message but then it did the "searching for accounts" and successfully reactivated. Note that if you look at "online Services" after the reactivation you will see a text block concerning an "improved connection method". When I tried to walk thru that process I did get an error so don't bother with that at this time (doesn't seem to be working yet). Everything seems to be working correctly though. Of course YMMV.
  • GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    Same error for my American Express credit card (Direct Connect), several times in recent days. No problems with my American Express Bank savings account (Express Web Connect).

I have not tried deactivating/reactivating yet.
  • Curtis Browne
    Curtis Browne Member ✭✭
    Same issue here
  • Jeff Skelton
    Jeff Skelton Member ✭✭✭
    same problem, going on a week
  • usfmom
    usfmom Member ✭✭
    I am as well. At first, I received the error recovery status then [ quicken is unable to update your account because unexpected information was received from your financial institution] After that response I tried the update again. Indicated that 6 transactions were updated but had the same balance as the previous update with nothing new showing in the register. This is messed up.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Same problem here!
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    PS - I tried to do a Deactivate/Activate, close/reopen Quicken, (we have 2 credit cards), and now after hanging on "Looking for Accounts at American Express" I get OL-293A there too - "unexpected information received". Something is broken good! (and don't try deactivate/activate!)
  • Njfjr
    Njfjr Member
    I am also getting that Error when updating my American Express Account
  • WPv
    WPv Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem with American Express. I have tried to update several times and continue to get the same error code. I am able to access my American Express directly with no problems. I also have problems with Synchrony Bank, CC-501 error. It looks like Quicken needs to put more effort into solving the download problelms.
  • Seal
    Seal Member ✭✭
    Yes, me too. I got this error yesterday, and when I tried again later, it downloaded OK. I am getting the same error again this morning, and have not successfully downloaded AMEX yet.
  • George Tranum
    George Tranum Member ✭✭
    I am having the same OL-293A error updating American Express accounts. Problem started this morning 6/30/2021. Quicken R34.16 Build 27.1.34.16. Windows 10 Pro. I can login to Amex on the web. Have verified credentials in Quicken.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I spoke too soon. I clicked OK after it gave me the OL-293A error in attempting to activate my two credit cards. It seemed to try again, and it worked! I got downloaded transactions from the last couple of days too. So then I tried another One Step Update, and I saw this funny gold key (first picture, and when I click on it, it said the message in the second picture. I clicked to "Update Signin Information" (not sure why I had to do that again), which I did, it said "Success", and I was able to download again without error even though there were no new transactions.

So then as one last test, I exited Quicken, restarted, and I did a One Step Update of all my accounts including the Amex account. The gold key is still on Amex! It worked, albeit it's slower now (with more status messages). 

One last note - the second message below says "American Express uses Express Web Connect..". So I went to my Account list, and sure enough it now says "Web Connect ( with an improve connection link)" So I clicked to improve connection, and I get the third picture - saying I have to have a Direct Connect Login to use the service! 

So I bet what happened to all of us - Direct Connect is not working (they couldn't have turned it in to a pay service or something could they?), so when I got the error Activating, and yet proceeding ahead worked, I bet it downgraded to Express Web Connect. So the question is, what happened to Direct Connect....?

• Mark Wagner
    Mark Wagner Member ✭✭✭
    That was basically the what I did, and tried to describe, but I guess I didn't describe it well enough or in enough detail...LOL. Net is if you go thru the deactivate/activate process, even though you get error messages, it eventually works. Looks like something on one or both ends changed. As long as it's working I'm not going to worry about it too much...LOL.
  • taffeys
    taffeys Member ✭✭✭
    I am also unable to update my AMEX account this morning; am getting the same OL-293-A error. Yesterday I had no such issue. And I am able to logon on to the account directly. Quicken credentials are also correct.

Quicken Subscription Deluxe Version R54.16 Build 27.1.54.16
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 21H2 Build 22000.2538

• Matt Mayer
    Matt Mayer Member ✭✭
    Add me to the list.
    Win10. Home and Business, R34.16, Build 27.1.34.16
    There was an update yesterday afternoon.
  • CaveCreek
    CaveCreek Member ✭✭✭
    This AM, started getting OL-203-A Errors when trying to update American Express (AMEX) transactions: "...unexpected information was received from your financial institution..."
    Please advise ...
    Quicken Premier - Windows Subscription - R34.16 Build 27.1.34.16
    B)  Windows 10 Home / Quicken Premier Subscription - Quicken user since the last century
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @Mark Wagner @Don Awalt
    Ditto your experience. Deactivate/activate just took a LONGGGG time to complete. It even gave a pop up stating there was no internet connection? But finally offered up two accounts (one deactivated years ago).
    Currently working, will see tomorrow??

Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • Lawrence71
    Lawrence71 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with my AMEX Credit Card account. Started today. Yesterday no problem. Using Direct Connect. Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe R34.16
  • MikeAKraemer
    MikeAKraemer Member
    Error started, yesterday, still there today
This discussion has been closed.