Accounts cross-linking across data files

I have multiple data files. When I open quicken for one data file, bank and credit card accounts for another data file show up and I continually have to delete them. This is a PAIN! It happens over and over, even if i go all the way out of Quicken each time. Files are stored locally, not on the cloud. And then, when I delete offending accounts, Quicken often locks up and I have to use Task Manager to get rid of it. It's costing me hours each month.
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did these various files get created by copying a current file, using a different name for the file?  If so, that probably explains what you are seeing. 
    Prior to Release R34.14 copying a file did not change an internal dataset ID and this, combined with other changes within Quicken allows data to "leak" from one file to another.  With Release R34.14 the "copy" process was changed such that, properly done, a copied file would get a new dataset ID, eliminating the leakage between files:
    • Improved: Copy and Backup File support has been updated to prevent connection problems.

• Using a copy of a Quicken file that contains connected accounts, syncs to the cloud, or uses services such as Bill Presentment or Quicken Bill Manager can cause problems if you perform certain connected actions in the file copy and then switch back to using the original file. To prevent these issues, using the Copy command in Quicken will now create a copy that has all the online services disconnected. This is useful when creating an archive file you don’t intend to update in the future via download, or when you’d like to use the new file as a “template” or starting point for a new, separate Quicken file. 

• If you only want to create a copy of your file for troubleshooting purposes or to experiment with a new feature, you can also make a copy, then reconnect any accounts you need, and proceed to use the copy.

• If you want to make a complete Backup of your file to possibly restore in the future, use the Backup option instead. A backup will not have connected services disabled when you open the backup via the Restore Backup feature.

• Please review this help document if you have questions.

• DrMonMed
    DrMonMed Member
    I do use a template with the categories already set up, but there are no bank connections in that data file. I checked the accounts in it and all just say 'Set up online' still. Should I create a new template to use in the future? The one i have says it was created in Oct. 2020. I think it is older.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Every data file has a unique Id in it.  That Id is used to connect it to the Quicken cloud data set.  If you just use a copy of your cloud data file it will have the same unique Id as the old data file.  That means that both of the data files will be talking to the same Quicken data set and result in cross linking them.

In the past there wasn't any way to change the unique Id other than using File -> New Quicken File.

With the recent patch update they added this concept of a "template" that will have a different unique Id.
    You will need to make a "template" of any of your copies that you want to use as separate data files, and reset the online connections.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/