Lost all transactions in checking account

40Love
40Love Member ✭✭
I opened Quicken and performed a one-step update, which initially appeared to complete successfully across all accounts. In other words, I received the normal pop-up window indicating how many transactions were downloaded and to what accounts. A few minutes later I opened one of my checking accounts and all transactions are now missing. Being a long-time Quicken user, this account had 10+ years of transactions. What should my next step be to restore these transactions? I have a backup of the file, but if I restore to that one, then I believe I will lose all the transactions I downloaded today across numerous accounts as I don't think I can "re-download" those. Is there a way that I can recover my checking account transactions without restoring to my last backup? I do not use Quicken on the web or the mobile app if that is important information. Thank you for your help.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    40Love said:
    I have a backup of the file, but if I restore to that one, then I believe I will lose all the transactions I downloaded today across numerous accounts as I don't think I can "re-download" those.
    The backup has no "memory" of the transactions downloaded subsequent to its creation. Therefore you can restore that backup and re-download those transactions.
    I would suggest, however, copying the .QDF-backup file in Windows to some new filename with extension .QDF. Then open Quicken while holding down the CTRL key. You will get an empty window with only File and Help commands. Do File > File Operations > Validate & Repair and browse to the newly copied .QDF file. Validate the file before attempting to actually open it. There are no guarantees, but this might get you past whatever problem caused your transactions to disappear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• 40Love
    40Love Member ✭✭
    Update: Upon further review, the checking account with the missing transactions is also displaying an "Accept Transactions" box, which is not typical behavior. I've never had to "accept" any transactions for this checking account, like I do with my investment accounts. Although the "Accept Transactions" box is empty, the "Delete" button is active, indicating to me that Quicken thinks there is something there to delete. In addition, in bouncing around the functions trying to figure this out, the Reconcile function pops up with a "You Have Unaccepted Transactions" note. Again, there are no transactions to accept. I am using Quicken Premier Version: R33.24 Build: 27.1.33.24.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Filtered register? Unexpected register sort order? "Missing" data?

Please review https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7181795/faq-register-messed-up-missing-transactions-or-not-showing-transactions-as-it-used-to

2) There are new program updates available. Go to Help / Check for Updates. Download and install the most recent batch of updates to R 34.16
  • 40Love
    40Love Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for your response.

It is definitely not a filtering or sorting issue, as that was the first thing I checked.

The Check for Updates function results in a popup that says "You already have the latest version of Quicken (Release R 33.24)."
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    40Love said:
    I have a backup of the file, but if I restore to that one, then I believe I will lose all the transactions I downloaded today across numerous accounts as I don't think I can "re-download" those.
    The backup has no "memory" of the transactions downloaded subsequent to its creation. Therefore you can restore that backup and re-download those transactions.
    I would suggest, however, copying the .QDF-backup file in Windows to some new filename with extension .QDF. Then open Quicken while holding down the CTRL key. You will get an empty window with only File and Help commands. Do File > File Operations > Validate & Repair and browse to the newly copied .QDF file. Validate the file before attempting to actually open it. There are no guarantees, but this might get you past whatever problem caused your transactions to disappear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• 40Love
    40Love Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Rocket! I made a backup of today's file and followed your steps. The validation process reflected about 75 or so duplicates of 4 to 5 recent transactions that Quicken had to repair. I opened the file and all of my transactions were there including the duplicates, which were all easily identifiable as the dates were after my last "one step update" conducted a few weeks ago. I deleted the duplicates and it appears that all is good now. Thanks again for your help!
This discussion has been closed.