Monthly reminders for a certain day of the week not updating after the first month

I set up me social security payments to occur on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, starting February 10th, but they always show up on the 10th of the month, not the 2nd Wednesday.

Answers

• ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    Follow-up information: I am using Quicken Premier with Windows 10 pro. I have multiple computers, and this happens on all of them.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you edit the income reminder, and verify the Due next on: setting:

If not set to 2nd Wednesday of every month, select change and reset the How often: settings appropriately:

• ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    Apparently you did not read my question carefully. I already set up the income reminder for the 2nd Wednesday of each month. I even tried re-setting the reminder, starting July 14th like you show. However, all the following months show the reminder on the 14th, not the 2nd Wednesday. The settings still show the 2nd Wednesday. This started happening a couple of updates ago, and worked perfectly before.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ggranger3 said:
    Apparently you did not read my question carefully. I already set up the income reminder for the 2nd Wednesday of each month. I even tried re-setting the reminder, starting July 14th like you show. However, all the following months show the reminder on the 14th, not the 2nd Wednesday. The settings still show the 2nd Wednesday. This started happening a couple of updates ago, and worked perfectly before.
    I certainly did read you question carefully but apparently you did not do the same.

Good luck.
  • ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    Sherlock, Thanks for taking the time to respond. The suggestion offered appears to be the standard setup procedure, but I tried it again, following the suggestion, to be sure I did it correctly. The resulting settings were the same as in the screenshots, but the results were still unsatisfactory: the reminder still shows up on the 14th, not the 2nd Wednesday in the months after July. Maybe the problem is with the Windows 10 updates, or maybe it is a bug in Quicken. Hoping for a work-around or a fix from the Quicken team. Again, thanks for making the effort.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ggranger3 said:
    Sherlock, Thanks for taking the time to respond. The suggestion offered appears to be the standard setup procedure, but I tried it again, following the suggestion, to be sure I did it correctly. The resulting settings were the same as in the screenshots, but the results were still unsatisfactory: the reminder still shows up on the 14th, not the 2nd Wednesday in the months after July. Maybe the problem is with the Windows 10 updates, or maybe it is a bug in Quicken. Hoping for a work-around or a fix from the Quicken team. Again, thanks for making the effort.
    I'm not able to reproduce the problem you've described using Quicken Premier R33.24 on WIndows 10 21H1.   I suggest you create a test Quicken file and attempt to reproduce the issue.  If the issue doesn't reproduce, the implication is the original Quicken file is corrupt: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  If the issue does reproduce, report the issue to Quicken: select Help > Report a problem...
  • ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    Good news, bad news. The good news is the test file worked perfectly. The bad news is the test file worked, and I have a corrupted data file, which was confirmed by the validation process. 8 pages of corrections over more than 10 years of transaction records appeared in the data log. Yikes! Thank you for steering me in the right direction. Is there any easier way to do this?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6
    do you have a recent backup from Quicken of the QDF data file -
    either from the automatic Quicken backups or the manually created Quicken ones ?
    What version..... Help --> About Quicken
    You also mentioned "multiple computers" -
    - how are you using Quicken with these and how is the QDF file accessed ?
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • ggranger3
    ggranger3 Member
    Yes, I see there are automatic Quicken backup files in the backup sub-folder at roughly one month intervals on what has been my primary computer, a good HP (Pavilion) laptop. The file name seems to indicate that a backup was made each time Quicken updated. Do you think I might be able to resurrect a good data file from one of them? I guess I should try them until I find one that does not have the issues, then re-build the data after that point? The log indicated that many transactions involved transfers that appeared to be damaged, some going back to before any of the back-ups. Almost all of them were splits from mortgage payments into an escrow account, which I tracked, and I am concerned about how to deal with that.

Now that I think about it, it seems that the problems began when support for Quicken 2017 Premier ended and I went to the new subscription model.

I use Drop Box to copy the most recent data files onto my various computers; they do not share a common file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ggranger3 said:
    Yes, I see there are automatic Quicken backup files in the backup sub-folder at roughly one month intervals on what has been my primary computer, a good HP (Pavilion) laptop. The file name seems to indicate that a backup was made each time Quicken updated. Do you think I might be able to resurrect a good data file from one of them? I guess I should try them until I find one that does not have the issues, then re-build the data after that point? The log indicated that many transactions involved transfers that appeared to be damaged, some going back to before any of the back-ups. Almost all of them were splits from mortgage payments into an escrow account, which I tracked, and I am concerned about how to deal with that.

Now that I think about it, it seems that the problems began when support for Quicken 2017 Premier ended and I went to the new subscription model.

I use Drop Box to copy the most recent data files onto my various computers; they do not share a common file.
    Generally, the best approach is to restore a good back.  If the good backup is old, you may be able to export the missing transactions from the corrupt file and import them into the restored file.  If you don't have access to a good backup, you can attempt to correct the entries in the repaired file.  Note: The Copy and Validate Procedure will not detect and repair all Quicken file corruption but some of us are able to work around the issues.