Manually Match Transactions does not show all unmarked transactions

Options
Geoff Stuart
Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
Self-explanatory. July 1 transaction in Register does not appear in Manually Match window. Why not?

[Attachment removed - QS]

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suspect the 7/1 transaction displayed in the register may have already been matched to an imported transaction.  To confirm, I suggest displaying the Downloaded Posting Date column: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Register columns..., check Downloaded Posting Date, and select Done

Note:  The 5/1 transaction in the register is not matched
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Given that your 5/1 transaction has never been matched, and the 7/1 is (because it isn't on the list) what I would do is match it with the 5/1, more to get the 5/1 off the list than any other reason.

This might seem "wrong", but let's examine what is really going on during the matching.

First the information in the downloaded transaction is being merged with the transaction in your register.
    Second it marks the transaction cleared.
    Third it is marking that existing transaction in the register as matched so that future downloaded transactions won't try to match to it.

In reality in this case for the first part the existing transaction has all the details, and the downloaded transaction adds no more information other than knowing that the transaction has cleared the bank.  For the second part you can clear the transaction manually either in the register or while doing a reconcile.

And for the third part matching to the 5/1 will get it off of the list so that it doesn't cause problems.  I think these days the manually match only has a 90 day window, but it certainly won't hurt anything to get the 5/1 off of the list.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Done, thanks for the assistance.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You posted a PDF with a discussion on a recipe.
    Signature:
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry about that. SnagIt is always dumping my saved files somewhere I'm not expecting. Here is the correct file illustrating the problem.

Geoff
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suspect the 7/1 transaction displayed in the register may have already been matched to an imported transaction.  To confirm, I suggest displaying the Downloaded Posting Date column: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Register columns..., check Downloaded Posting Date, and select Done

Note:  The 5/1 transaction in the register is not matched
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sherlock, I appreciate this info. I did not know abut the columns you suggested. I had a lot of trouble setting up this mortgage (four calls to four different phone reps, took 60 days to figure it out). I have no trouble believing that all the screwing around with these payments is what caused the downloading info to go haywire.

So I gather that Q looks at these columns to determine whether to display the trans in the Manually Match window, and it will disregard whether there is an entry in the Clr column?

Thanks,

Geoff
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sherlock, I appreciate this info. I did not know abut the columns you suggested. I had a lot of trouble setting up this mortgage (four calls to four different phone reps, took 60 days to figure it out). I have no trouble believing that all the screwing around with these payments is what caused the downloading info to go haywire.

So I gather that Q looks at these columns to determine whether to display the trans in the Manually Match window, and it will disregard whether there is an entry in the Clr column?

Thanks,

Geoff
    I can not say which field Quicken is using to determine that the transaction is not eligible to be matched but the only way to set a value in the Downloaded Posting Date column is to accept an imported transaction and Quicken does not use the Clr column for this purpose.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Given that your 5/1 transaction has never been matched, and the 7/1 is (because it isn't on the list) what I would do is match it with the 5/1, more to get the 5/1 off the list than any other reason.

This might seem "wrong", but let's examine what is really going on during the matching.

First the information in the downloaded transaction is being merged with the transaction in your register.
    Second it marks the transaction cleared.
    Third it is marking that existing transaction in the register as matched so that future downloaded transactions won't try to match to it.

In reality in this case for the first part the existing transaction has all the details, and the downloaded transaction adds no more information other than knowing that the transaction has cleared the bank.  For the second part you can clear the transaction manually either in the register or while doing a reconcile.

And for the third part matching to the 5/1 will get it off of the list so that it doesn't cause problems.  I think these days the manually match only has a 90 day window, but it certainly won't hurt anything to get the 5/1 off of the list.
    Signature:
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Done, thanks for the assistance.
This discussion has been closed.