Export Category List to Excel or CSV from Quicken for Mac

I am trying to find a way to export my category list from Quicken for Mac to a CSV (or Excel) file. There are several posts here (some old, some newer) on how to do this from Quicken for Windows but I can't find anything on Quicken for Mac. Is this because...it's not possible?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Your hypothesis is correct: it is not possible at this time to export the category list in QMac.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Your hypothesis is correct: it is not possible at this time to export the category list in QMac.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021
    Correct. Sorry.  There is no way to print or export the category list from Quicken Mac.

There's an Idea thread (enhancement/new features request) for this functionality, and I'd encourage you to take a few seconds to visit this thread and add your vote for it (in the yellow box under the first post, click the little arrow under the vote counter). 

The best you can do currently is to open the Categories list, extend it as tall as you can, take a screenshot, scroll down a screenful, take another screenshot, etc. -- and then print your screenshots. Not ideal by any means, but it's the best you can do.

Also, be aware you can view a list of any unused categories which may be cluttering up your list. In the little toolbar at the bottom of the Categories window, click the gear icon and select Show Only Unused Categories. You can then delete any you don't want (except the ones which show in the Status column as Required).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ErinH
    ErinH Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the fast response! :smiley:
  • ErinH
    ErinH Member ✭✭
    @jacobs I voted it up! Thanks for the tip!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Actually, here's a tricky workaround to let you accomplish this:

1. Create a new Summary Report
    2. Set the Row to Category, Column to Time, Time Interval to None.
    3. Set the Date Range to All Dates
    4. Set Accounts, Categories, Tags and Payees to "All"
    5. Export the report to CSV and open in Excel or Numbers
    6. Delete the heading lines at the top and the dollar amount column(s) at the right
    7. Delete the Transfer and Other lines at the bottom
    8. You now have a spreadsheet listing all your categories by Income and Expense
    Note that this will not include any unused categories.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ErinH
    ErinH Member ✭✭
    :) Clever! You’re right! I can make a report and export it. Thanks @RickO!
This discussion has been closed.