stock for stock

Options
Vtsax (829.693sh)is exchanged for ViTSX (829.616sh) The ratio is .9999072 but Q only
will show .999907. price 108.27 Is this an error on Q's side.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not an "error", it's a "program limitation."  As of right now you're only allowed 6 digits to the right of the decimal point.  

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not an "error", it's a "program limitation."  As of right now you're only allowed 6 digits to the right of the decimal point.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you really mean that you switched from the Admiral class of the fund to the Institutional class?
    OR, did you switch to the Investor class?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• reginaO
    reginaO Member ✭✭
    Options
    I exchanged admiral Shares for institutional
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On that type of conversion, I go through each Add Share transaction and adjust the number of shares to my desired precision (3-digits after the decimal). 

As an example with your conversion ratio, you might find a 100 share lot converting to 99.9907 shares; I would choose to have that lot convert to 99.991 shares.  I would consider 99.99072 to be excessively precise and beyond what Vanguard would actually use.  Keeping a consistent level of precision seems to keep away various rounding gremlins that can cause later problems.      
  • reginaO
    reginaO Member ✭✭
    Options
    ratio should be .9999072
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    reginaO said:
    ratio should be .9999072
    I understand that.  But on a lot by lot basis, that precision may not be appropriate.  If you have a lot of the original security with 0.123 shares, that lot would precisely convert to 0.1229885856 shares.  Quicken at best would convert that to 0.122988 or 0.122989 shares.  I would choose to convert it to 0.123 shares.

In contrast a lot of 123 shares would precisely convert to to 123.9885856 shares.  Quicken at best would get to 122.988585 or 123.988586 shares.  I would choose to make the conversion to 122.989 shares.

It is foolhardy to try to be excessively precise.  I let Quicken be as precise as I can, then I make sure I am comfortable with the final figures.  As I suggest above, the final result may reflect that one lot converted at one ratio (1.00000) and other lots at different ratios (after my editing of transactions).  I make the final answer correct. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    reginaO said:
    ratio should be .9999072
    Actually it should be:
    0.9999071945888419   :)

And I would bet that in fact that is also an approximation made by your broker.
    In other words you will notice that they stopped at three digits past the decimal point for the number of shares.  There isn't any standard on how many digits to round to.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.