Quicken purchase - Quicken for Mac vs Quicken for Windows

boblagos
boblagos Member
edited July 2021 in Before you Buy
I live in the Philippines and I want to get Quicken via online purchase. Is this possible? Is the Quicken Deluxe for Mac and Windows the same?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows are not the same. They do not share the same file format, so your data is not interchangeable between the two different programs. They do many similar things, but not every feature is mirrored on the other platform. There are many, many posts on this site about some of the differences. 

Quicken is only sold for the US and Canada markets, but many people in other countries have successfully purchased it. You will need to give a US address for the online purchase, but if you look one up, the purchase will likely go through. Also, be aware that downloading transactions only works for US and Canadian financial institutions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows are not the same. They do not share the same file format, so your data is not interchangeable between the two different programs. They do many similar things, but not every feature is mirrored on the other platform. There are many, many posts on this site about some of the differences. 

Quicken is only sold for the US and Canada markets, but many people in other countries have successfully purchased it. You will need to give a US address for the online purchase, but if you look one up, the purchase will likely go through. Also, be aware that downloading transactions only works for US and Canadian financial institutions.
  • boblagos
    boblagos Member
    If I have Quicken Home & Business 2014 edition (for Windows), the data files cannot be migrated to a Mac version of Quicken? I therefore have to buy a Windows version, right?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    boblagos said:
    If I have Quicken Home & Business 2014 edition (for Windows), the data files cannot be migrated to a Mac version of Quicken? I therefore have to buy a Windows version, right?
    No you can migrate them to Quicken Mac.  Even though the two data files aren't compatible there is a conversion program.  Note that converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac works pretty good, but from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows has all kinds of restrictions/problems like not converting investment transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Also, note that what you buy now is a subscription, not the software. With your subscription, you can therefore download and use Quicken Windows, Quicken Mac or both. (But as Chris mentions above, the file formats aren't interchangeable, so you can't move back and forth.)
This discussion has been closed.