Some quicken questions about upgrading to current version from QMac 2007 [edited]

sjaffe
sjaffe Member ✭✭
edited July 2021 in Before you Buy
I realize that people here may not be able to answer all these questions but I'll try anyway

Background: I have been using Quicken 2007 for Mac for a long time. It serves my needs. I have LOTS of financial data in it, a lot of it is historical and contains information on big purchases/warranties and other data I don't want to lose. I really don't want (or really need) to update the software to get new features but, I'm nearing a point where I might have to upgrade my MacOS from Mojave to whatever the latest is (Big Sur, I think) and Quicken 2007 will no longer run on the new OS because it's 32-bit.

Questions:
1. How does the latest version of Quicken for Mac compare with Quicken 2007? And which version of the current Quicken choices (starter, Deluxe, etc.) most closely matches Quicken 2007?

2. Will I be able to import all my data from Quicken 2007? The last time I tried doing that with a new version of Quicken, it read about half of the information correctly and the rest incorrectly. It would have taken me weeks to correct it all. That's one of the reasons why I was still running Q2007.

3. Will the current version of Quicken run under Mojave (MacOS 10.14.6)? I need to update Quicken before I update the OS so that I still have access to all the old data via Quicken 2007 if I have to fix data after importing. If the current version of Quicken will not run under Mojave, does anyone know where I can get a copy that does and will also run on the new OS?

5. How do I import my data from the old version to the new version of Quicken? IIRC, Quicken uses a proprietary format for its database and also, IIRC there are multiple ways of dumping the data that preserve different aspects of the data. That is to say, some dumps contain only the registers, other dumps contain all accounts and registers and budgets, etc. What are the options and how do I transfer all my data to the new version?

6. I notice that Quicken is now subscriber software. Does anyone know if I can buy it as a stand-alone? How?

Thank you.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021
    I'll take a stab at answering your questions as best I can, but with the caveat that your data file and your usage of Quicken may be unique and may vary from generalized answers.

I believe that the best way to get answers for yourself is to try modern Quicken Mac with your imported data; if you try it and find it doesn't work for your needs, you can get your money back within 30 days of purchase.

sjaffe said:
    1. How does the latest version of Quicken for Mac compare with Quicken 2007? And which version of the current Quicken choices (starter, Deluxe, etc.) most closely matches Quicken 2007?
    That's a loaded question! ;) Modern Quicken Mac does most, but not all, things you could do in Quicken 2007. For many users, Quicken Mac is great; for some, it's good enough, even though there's something they miss from Quicken 2007; and for some, there's a feature missing which makes the new program not viable for their needs. In my case, I held onto Quicken 2007 for several years after the new program came out, while continuing to experiment with the new version, until I finally made the leap for good a year ago; for my needs, the improvements which had been made in Quicken Mac over the prior 5 years were enough for me to leave Quicken 2007 behind. Only you, with your own data, can answer this for yourself. (You can spend a lot of time combing through this forum and reading myriad posts about differences or shortcomings, but it takes a lot to sift through which issues have been solved/resolved over the years; I think trying it out for yourself is a better approach.)

You should know going into it that there will be somewhat of a learning curve getting used to the new user interface and different ways of doing some things. You hay have some initial knee-jerk reactions of not liking certain things about the program, but in many cases if you give it time, you'll start to reprogram years of brain-eye-hand memory and get used to the new way. (For instance, I originally didn't like the one-line registers in Quicken Mac; after while, with the configurability and easier searchability they provide, I came around to liking them better than the old, familiar 2-line register in Quicken 2007. On the rare instances where I still fire up Quicken 2007 to look at something, the interface feels dated and awkward to me. Not everyone agrees, of course, so again, you have to experience it for yourself and come to your own conclusions.)

As for which version, that's pretty easy. Starter Edition doesn't track investments or loans, nor do annual budgets. And it can't be used manually if your subscription expires (see #6 below). I advise against Starter Edition for most people, unless you're truly just using Quicken as a simple digital checkbook for your bank and credit card accounts. Quicken Deluxe has all the features of the modern Quicken, and is the right choice for most people.  Quicken Premier only adds two benefits: it includes a limited number of online bill payments (an add-on cost for Deluxe users), and it gives you a special phone line to call for Quicken Support which jumps you to the front of the queue. I advise skipping Premier unless those online payments are worthwhile to you.

sjaffe said:
    2. Will I be able to import all my data from Quicken 2007? The last time I tried doing that with a new version of Quicken, it read about half of the information correctly and the rest incorrectly. It would have taken me weeks to correct it all. That's one of the reasons why I was still running Q2007.
    Generally, yes, Quicken Mac will do a good job importing Quicken 2007 data. You should be aware that there are some things which do not carry over, such as saved reports and budgets. But all your transactions should get imported.

One trick before importing is to rebuild the indexes in your Quicken 2007 data file: Command-Option-B. For as good as the old Quicken 2007 has been, its database is prone to various forms of corruption. Rebuilding the indexes won't fix them all, but it will cure a host of possible problems.

Here again: try it and see how it works for you. For most Quicken 2007 users, the import is pretty solid.

sjaffe said:
    3. Will the current version of Quicken run under Mojave (MacOS 10.14.6)? I need to update Quicken before I update the OS so that I still have access to all the old data via Quicken 2007 if I have to fix data after importing. If the current version of Quicken will not run under Mojave, does anyone know where I can get a copy that does and will also run on the new OS?
    Yes, Quicken Mac runs under Mojave. It's what I currently use on both my Macs. (I'm still holding onto old 32-bit applications like Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite from before they went to annual subscriptions; I'll have to move  on at some point, but for now Mojave meets my needs.)

[There was no question #4 in your post! ;) ]
    sjaffe said:
    5. How do I import my data from the old version to the new version of Quicken? IIRC, Quicken uses a proprietary format for its database and also, IIRC there are multiple ways of dumping the data that preserve different aspects of the data. That is to say, some dumps contain only the registers, other dumps contain all accounts and registers and budgets, etc. What are the options and how do I transfer all my data to the new version?
    Importing your data is very straightforward. After doing the reindexing I mentioned in Quicken 2007, quit Quicken 2007. Launch Quicken Mac, log in with your Quicken ID, and you'll land on a "Let's Get Started" page. (Or get there by doing File > New.) Select your Quicken 2007 data file -- make sure if you have more than one Quicken 2007 data file on your Mac that you know which one you're currently using -- and Quicken will do the conversion. (Behind the scenes, it makes a copy of your Quicken 2007 data file, so it can't damage it in any way, it uploads the file temporarily to a server which runs a process to extract your Quicken 2007 data to an intermediate format, downloads that data to your Mac, and imports it into Quicken Mac.)

After it's done, start checking your account balances, and looking at account registers to see if they appear to contain all your transaction history. Compare an annual category report in Quicken Mac and Quicken 2007 for several different years. With investment accounts you may have some small clean-up due to rounding of share prices, but generally, things should -- hopefully -- import cleanly.

sjaffe said:

6. I notice that Quicken is now subscriber software. Does anyone know if I can buy it as a stand-alone? How?
    No, there is not such thing as a "stand-alone" or non-subscription version of Quicken Mac. You can only buy a subscription, typically for one year. After the one year, you can allow your subscription to lapse and you can continue using Quicken with the following limitations: (a) no transaction downloads, uploads or connected services function, (b) you won't get any more software updates with new features and bug fixes, (c) you lose access to Quicken Support, and (d) the program will appropriate the right side of your Quicken window -- about 20% of with width -- for a persistent message about renewing your subscription. If you're okay working with those limitations, you can us Quicken until something in an Apple update causes something to break. Otherwise, you'll need to accept paying a modest annual fee for ongoing use of the software.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    There is no relationship between 2-line vs single line registers and searchability. If you still prefer the 2-line register, add your vote here: Add option for 2-line/row display

As for a stand-alone version, ALL versions of Quicken are stand-alone, meaning that both the software AND the data file reside on your computer and can be used offline (except with first registration of any new data file). A subscription simply entitles you to online functionality and ongoing support and updates.

Should you consider the latest version to not meet your needs, you may want to consider:
    (though it is not that complicated, it is not for everyone)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    There is no relationship between 2-line vs single line registers and searchability.
    Yes, there is. I was comparing what exists in Quicken 2007 and what exists in Quicken Mac. I do find it much easier to scan the single line register, and find the smooth continual scrolling much easier to use than the registers in Quicken 2007. I expressed it as my opinion, and stated not that everyone shares the same opinion. That's fairly speaks to the question being asked about comparing the two programs as they exist.

Now, you're right that a 2-line register with smooth scrolling and adjustable column configurations, like almost anything else, could be programmed in the future. Just as there are other Quicken 2007 features which are on people's wishlists for the future. (Personally, I don't think people should be encouraged to vote for user interface enhancements unless/until they have tried what currently exists. I would have voted for a 2-line register early on; now, I wouldn't use it even if it were offered as an option because I find the uninterrupted columns of the single line register much easier on my eyes. In any case, it's all personal opinion, and different people will have different opinions or preferences; I just suggest trying the new alternative before voting for a return to the old standard.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I was not trying to take away from your opinion of what you think is easier to use. It read as if you were talking about the searching functionality. I was not trying to wade through opinion. Like you point out, ease of use is in part a personal matter. I am simply pointing out the relationship about searching functionality vs lines, meaning that the two are not interdependent.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    You're being too literal. Searching: not like the Search box to dig through the entire database; searching: as in searching a screen for information like a payee or a memo on amount; searching as in skimming, scanning, sweeping, surveying...

Now ket's drop this and see if the original poster has any further questions about moving from Quicken 2007 to modern Quicken Mac.
  • sjaffe
    sjaffe Member ✭✭
    Sorry I haven't responded sooner - several computer issues and days of trying to fix the issues kept me from responding. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking at upgrading from Quicken 2007 - some of the issues I'm having would probably be resolved by upgrading my MacOS to the latest version... and then I would lose Quicken 2007. To address a few points and maybe ask a few more questions:

- I don't have enough space on my disk drive for a virtual machine. I've tried virtual machines in the past, both for MacOS and Windows and there have always been problems - it never runs smoothly, and software running in them never runs well. But, the lack of space makes it pretty much a no-go anyway.

- When you say that the new Quicken has a single line register, do you mean that it only displays a single line, or that all of the information that used to be in the second line is gone. I use categories A LOT for keeping track of what I spend and where I spend it, as well as at tax time. And I use the Memo portion of the entries A LOT to keep track of important information. I wouldn't want to lose that utility, or any of the information currently saved in my current Quicken database. I might be ok with that info not displaying, as long as it's still there... and still searchable. For example, when I recently bought a new refrigerator, I put into the memo line the model and serial number. This way, if I have an issue and have to get warranty service, I have the information I need at my fingertips - including the date purchased and the amount paid. I've been doing this for decades and it's been extremely useful.

- Split transactions are pretty much essential to me! Do they exist in current Quicken? Are they searchable?

- I don't do budgets any more - I find they're a waste of time for me. And I don't do downloads of data from banks or investment companies or anything else. I find that the data is never in the format that I want them, or have all the information I want so it's easier to enter things by hand. It doesn't take me much time. So, I don't need any of that. I balance my accounts once a month and it takes me about an hour to enter all the data, write my monthly checks, and balance the books.

I basically just use Quicken to keep track of all my information (like warranty info) and banking info and to keep my checkbook balanced. I used to use Quicken to write and print my checks but I don't even do that any more - I use my bank's online bill pay to write checks. I think it's been years since I wrote a check or printed a check.

- Have any of you used or tried any of the Quicken alternatives like MoneyDance or Banktivity or any of the others? What brought you back, or kept you using Quicken instead of the alternatives? What is it that keeps you using Quicken?

- Is there anything about Quicken 2007 that is not in the newer versions that you miss? I'm not speaking about display issues here but rather functionality.

- Is there anything in the newer version that you're glad exists that didn't exist in Q2007? Again, I'm not speaking about display issues here but rather functionality.

Thank you for your time, patience and answers.
  • jacobs
    sjaffe said:
    - When you say that the new Quicken has a single line register, do you mean that it only displays a single line, or that all of the information that used to be in the second line is gone.
    Register data is displayed in a single line instead of two. But… that single line is very flexible. You control which columns are visible, what order they're in and how wide they are. So I can eliminate fields I don't use, and tailor the registers to how I work. It's one of the reasons I prefer the current Quicken Mac's registers to the ones in Quicken 2007, after I adjusted to them.

sjaffe said:
    - Split transactions are pretty much essential to me! Do they exist in current Quicken? Are they searchable?
    Yes they exist. Mostly the same as Quicken 2007. Yes, the contents of split lines are searched when you Search.

sjaffe said:
    - I don't do budgets any more - I find they're a waste of time for me. And I don't do downloads of data from banks or investment companies or anything else. I find that the data is never in the format that I want them, or have all the information I want so it's easier to enter things by hand. It doesn't take me much time. So, I don't need any of that. I balance my accounts once a month and it takes me about an hour to enter all the data, write my monthly checks, and balance the books.

I basically just use Quicken to keep track of all my information (like warranty info) and banking info and to keep my checkbook balanced. I used to use Quicken to write and print my checks but I don't even do that any more - I use my bank's online bill pay to write checks. I think it's been years since I wrote a check or printed a check.
    I typically enter my transactions manually. I've found that online downloads can be helpful, but I still spend a lot of time doing "clean up" work -- creating splits, entering memos about what I've bought, etc. I understand why most people want to download their transactions, and the more transactions you have, the greater the benefit. For me, manual entry works as well or better -- and I'm not inconvenienced by periodic outages with online connectivity to a financial institution. Most of my bills are paid online; the very few actual checks I write, I write by hand and enter in Quicken; it's not even worth me buying printable check stock. 

sjaffe said:
    - Have any of you used or tried any of the Quicken alternatives like MoneyDance or Banktivity or any of the others? What brought you back, or kept you using Quicken instead of the alternatives? What is it that keeps you using Quicken?
    I only explored alternatives briefly a decade ago when it seems Quicken Mac was dead. Once Intuit announced Quicken 2007 for macOS Lion, I happily carried on with Quicken. As for alternatives, the Quicken moderators do not allow this site to be used to discuss competing products; they'll remove any such discussion. 

sjaffe said:
    - Is there anything about Quicken 2007 that is not in the newer versions that you miss? I'm not speaking about display issues here but rather functionality.
    I miss QuickMath; I lobby for it in every survey Quicken conducts, and I have some hope that it will appear some day. ;) Reports have gotten steadily better over the past few years, but I'm still hoping for a number of enhancements, including flexible investment reports, the ability to have subtotals on the bottom rather than the top, reports (not search) on Memo fields, and a number of other things; the reports are now good enough for my needs, but I'm hoping they'll continue to get more robust. I miss being able to define a key command for accounts, so I could switch accounts without a mouse click (and easy change I hope they'll implement at some point). There's probably more, but the longer I use modern Quicken Mac, the less I remember missing from Quicken 2007.

sjaffe said:
    - Is there anything in the newer version that you're glad exists that didn't exist in Q2007? Again, I'm not speaking about display issues here but rather functionality.
    the database is rock-solid stable! I lost some data once in Quicken 2007, in recent years it would crash with corruption and needing the rebuild its indexes more and more often, and all my data no longer fit in one file. None of those are issues in modern Quicken Mac. I like the Search feature in modern Quicken Mac; it's far better than Find in Quicken 2007. I like being able to close/hid account, but still Search within them when I'm looking for an old transaction. I like being able to view registers of account groups (e.g. all investment account, all retirement accounts, all credit card accounts). Again, there's more…
This discussion has been closed.