new report filters on Net Worth widget

almendsr
almendsr Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
The new report filters don't work and I can't get my Net Worth to show the correct data now. The new filter options keep resetting. They don't include hidden categories. If I leave the options screen and reenter the selection reset back and throw my graph off (Home - Net Worth). The new options would be nice if they worked.

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @almendsr

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the community, although I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the filters on the Net Worth report.

To better understand the situation, can you please let us know if you are viewing a saved copy of the Net Worth report with previously set customizations, and it is those custom filter options that are not being retained when opening the report?

Or, are you creating and customizing the Net Worth report?  If so, what filters or customization options are you selecting for the report?

The more information you are able to provide will better help the community to understand what is happening and provide relevant troubleshooting steps or suggestions.

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is apparently the Net Worth panel on the Home Page, but a quick experiment does not show any issue with selections resetting for either Categories or accounts. Need more info. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I suspect this is an issue in the staged R34 release.  Until the report customization issues are resolved, you may want to consider reverting back to the R33 release.
  • almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    correct. It is the Net Worth panel on the Home page and not a standard report. The options now include the new filters however the Net worth valuation with the filters is wrong. If I go in and switch the filters to use my selections it can revert back. I think there is a problem with both the filter logic with the new options as well as that if I specify manual selections it can revert back. I haven't attempted the new filters with any other reports.
  • almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    yes, the issue is with the options that appeared with the newest release. I don't plan on reverting but would like to see a fix.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I believe that panel is removable.  Have you tried removing that net worth panel and adding it back in?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    almendsr said:
    yes, the issue is with the options that appeared with the newest release. I don't plan on reverting but would like to see a fix.
    The issue I see will impact all report customizations.  Basically, it appears Quicken is trying to determine if the saved customization is equivalent to the default and gets it wrong.  To work around the issue, we must apply a customization that Quicken does not interpret as being equivalent to the default.  Depending on the desired customization, this may mean creating a non-hidden dummy account, category, security, or tag that you explicitly exclude (uncheck).

I'm confident Quicken will eventually resolve this and other issues in R34 before they publish an R34 release as the latest release.  For now, R34 is only a staged release so it is only being distributed to a limited number of users to help identify any issue they may have introduced. Good luck and  I suggest you preserve a good Quicken file backup saved before you upgraded to R34.
  • almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    I can live with a report/graph being off for a while. The data appears unaffected. If all of my saved reports are jocked up I'll probably ask for a refund on this years subscription or switch to another product. I'm not paying a subscription to be a quality tester and not have a working application.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock

Is this issue just with customizations that were saved prior to R34, or does it also affect reports that were customized and saved starting with an R34 stock report?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock

Is this issue just with customizations that were saved prior to R34, or does it also affect reports that were customized and saved starting with an R34 stock report?
    No.  I haven't tested with any saved reports.  I suspect the issue will also impact them.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    almendsr said:
    I can live with a report/graph being off for a while. The data appears unaffected. If all of my saved reports are jocked up I'll probably ask for a refund on this years subscription or switch to another product. I'm not paying a subscription to be a quality tester and not have a working application.
    If you don't want to be a quality tester, do not download and apply the staged updates.

To prevent the updates from being applied without your approval, I suggest you verify you have Windows UAC set to Always notify or the default:

• almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    I didn't know what a staged update is. I didn't know I really had a choice. I really don't want to have to research every patch that comes through from Quicken and try to track which to apply and which not to. I just assumed that patches were required and leave the QA up to the publisher. I'm paying for the product because I've used it for decades and I was too lazy to change when they switched to the vastly more expensive subscription model. Honestly if I wasn't lazy I would've switched. All of that said, if using their product and managing patches is going to be that much work I might as well bite the bullet and make the switch, get off the hamster wheel, save a ton of money. I'll buy a product that is static and just apply a patch if I have an issue. I'm paying what I'm paying for Quicken because I didn't want it to be more work. I'd suggest that Quicken control the patch release cycle and use an application option to specify if a user wants to be on the bleeding edge. By default Beta tester should be Opt-OUT and then if a user really wants to risk their app and data by testing they can Opt-IN manually.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    almendsr said:
    I didn't know what a staged update is. I didn't know I really had a choice. I really don't want to have to research every patch that comes through from Quicken and try to track which to apply and which not to. I just assumed that patches were required and leave the QA up to the publisher. I'm paying for the product because I've used it for decades and I was too lazy to change when they switched to the vastly more expensive subscription model. Honestly if I wasn't lazy I would've switched. All of that said, if using their product and managing patches is going to be that much work I might as well bite the bullet and make the switch, get off the hamster wheel, save a ton of money. I'll buy a product that is static and just apply a patch if I have an issue. I'm paying what I'm paying for Quicken because I didn't want it to be more work. I'd suggest that Quicken control the patch release cycle and use an application option to specify if a user wants to be on the bleeding edge. By default Beta tester should be Opt-OUT and then if a user really wants to risk their app and data by testing they can Opt-IN manually.
    Using a staged release would be Gamma testing not Beta testing.  If you want to learn about Quicken's Beta program, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-apply-join-quicken-beta-testing

I agree Quicken should make clear when a release has successfully passed from staged release.  The approach I use is to note the release offered at update and check if the same release is the latest release a week later.   Note: I only update the Quicken program on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings, and, if there are any significant problems, I revert back.

I also get a bit of a heads up on new issues that appear in a staged release from users when they post to this forum.
  • almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    I very much appreciate all the feedback and guidance. This has actually been very helpful and informative.

But that said, I want this application to be like my refrigerator. I open the door. Take out a beer. It's cold. I don't want to know how the refrigerator works. I don't want to know how the beer is made. Don't want to analyze the supply chain getting it to me. I just want my stuff cold. One side freezes things and the other doesn't. I really don't think I've seen or needed a feature in Quicken that didn't exist 20 years ago when I started using it. The only reason I pay for the subscription is because they stopped updating stock prices in my portfolios if I don't keep the subscription and I figure keeping that information updated daily allows me to make some buy/sell decisions that probably offsets the $50/yr (or whatever it costs now). But this is an application similar to an appliance. It's not a hobby. The time I spend with it is the time I wish to invest understanding my finances not the tool itself. I have other hobbies. When this application starts requiring dedicated time invested just to manage the application (not my finances) is when I'm gone as a customer. I'm not going to buy a refrigerator that connects to the internet or requires patches and updates either. At least not until I have to. I do understand that this is software so not too much choice there but I hope Quicken understands that they are providing a service and the less I have to understand what they do the more I value their service. Is that ironic?

Hopefully we haven't journeyed too far off topic. I just want feedback going back to the people that care and make decisions. This is my chance to do that. Someday they might hit a feature I really value but for now I'm paying them to keep my data accurate and safe. Update my portfolio. Make sure the reporting I use is still accurate and that I don't have to recreate the reports I've been using forever. I don't want surprises. I don't want another hobby. I don't want it to get more complicated, at least the parts I currently use. I don't really want to understand their release cycle. If I get a patch I'll apply it. It's an app(liance) and that's all I want it to be.

And thank you for the suggestions. I need to understand this as well as my options. I do hedge my bets by keeping a copy of the application installed on a VM. I only update the app and the data quarterly (apply patches / restore from backup data). I have options if they wreck it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    almendsr said:
    I very much appreciate all the feedback and guidance. This has actually been very helpful and informative.

But that said, I want this application to be like my refrigerator. I open the door. Take out a beer. It's cold. I don't want to know how the refrigerator works. I don't want to know how the beer is made. Don't want to analyze the supply chain getting it to me. I just want my stuff cold. One side freezes things and the other doesn't. I really don't think I've seen or needed a feature in Quicken that didn't exist 20 years ago when I started using it. The only reason I pay for the subscription is because they stopped updating stock prices in my portfolios if I don't keep the subscription and I figure keeping that information updated daily allows me to make some buy/sell decisions that probably offsets the $50/yr (or whatever it costs now). But this is an application similar to an appliance. It's not a hobby. The time I spend with it is the time I wish to invest understanding my finances not the tool itself. I have other hobbies. When this application starts requiring dedicated time invested just to manage the application (not my finances) is when I'm gone as a customer. I'm not going to buy a refrigerator that connects to the internet or requires patches and updates either. At least not until I have to. I do understand that this is software so not too much choice there but I hope Quicken understands that they are providing a service and the less I have to understand what they do the more I value their service. Is that ironic?

Hopefully we haven't journeyed too far off topic. I just want feedback going back to the people that care and make decisions. This is my chance to do that. Someday they might hit a feature I really value but for now I'm paying them to keep my data accurate and safe. Update my portfolio. Make sure the reporting I use is still accurate and that I don't have to recreate the reports I've been using forever. I don't want surprises. I don't want another hobby. I don't want it to get more complicated, at least the parts I currently use. I don't really want to understand their release cycle. If I get a patch I'll apply it. It's an app(liance) and that's all I want it to be.

And thank you for the suggestions. I need to understand this as well as my options. I do hedge my bets by keeping a copy of the application installed on a VM. I only update the app and the data quarterly (apply patches / restore from backup data). I have options if they wreck it.
    This is principally a user to user forum.    Your effort of reaching anyone associated with Quicken here is likely wasted. 

We have never needed to upgrade Quicken to import stock prices.  You simply need to import an appropriately populated CSV file.  There used to be free program we could use.  These days I suggest using a Google sheet.   For example:

When we download the Google sheet as a CSV file, the file is formatted appropriately for import into Quicken:

To learn more about Google sheets, I suggest you review: https://www.google.com/sheets/about/
  • almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    that's pretty cool. thank you for taking the time to provide all of the advice and feedback. It is very helpful.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    almendsr said:
    The issue I see will impact all report customizations.  Basically, it appears Quicken is trying to determine if the saved customization is equivalent to the default and gets it wrong.  To work around the issue, we must apply a customization that Quicken does not interpret as being equivalent to the default.  Depending on the desired customization, this may mean creating a non-hidden dummy account, category, security, or tag that you explicitly exclude (uncheck).

I'm confident Quicken will eventually resolve this and other issues in R34 before they publish an R34 release as the latest release.  For now, R34 is only a staged release so it is only being distributed to a limited number of users to help identify any issue they may have introduced. Good luck and  I suggest you preserve a good Quicken file backup saved before you upgraded to R34.
    Well, I was wrong.   Quicken has published R34.24 as the latest release without resolving this issue.
  • almendsr
    almendsr Member ✭✭
    It appears that the Quicken support team monitors the discussions. I received an email from the team asking for more details and then eventually we had a zoom session with an engineer to walk through the problem. I was able to show them a couple of problems with the new report configuration options which they said they would work to correct. Looks as though the issue will make it to the next level for resolution. I can confirm that I am on R34.24 currently.

and I learned something new about Google Sheets! Time well spent.
This discussion has been closed.