Why has Quicken started adding "/x" to some autocatgorizations

So I have Payees that I have assigned to a category. Example: "Giant" groceries to "Household: General household". Recently these same payees are sometimes categorizing as "Household: General household/x". Why is Quicken all of a sudden adding the "/x" to some transactions??? I have not discerned a pattern yet why/when it happens.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In the Category field, a slash denotes that the following text consists of Tags. So in this case "x" is a tag. Check your Tags list (CTRL-L) for it. If it exists, delete it and see whether your problem is solved. If "x" does not exist as a tag, you have data corruption and should try Validate & Repair.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In the Category field, a slash denotes that the following text consists of Tags. So in this case "x" is a tag. Check your Tags list (CTRL-L) for it. If it exists, delete it and see whether your problem is solved. If "x" does not exist as a tag, you have data corruption and should try Validate & Repair.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Cogito
    Cogito Member ✭✭
    Looks like that was it. I did have an "x" tag. Don't know how it got there since I don't know what Tags are or are used for. Something to check out. Thanks.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you want to check further you can add the TAG column to the register (then turn if off when you are done looking).   You can add a column for Tag if it's not showing. To add columns to the register
    Select "Account Actions".
    Select "Register Columns..."

Or in newer versions you can click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the account register to get a list of available columns. Click to put a checkmark in the missing column(s). (Also explore the new columns, added to your version of Quicken, if they might be helpful for your needs.)

There are Categories and Sub-Categories and Tags. You use a colon in front of a sub-category.  The forward slash / designates a Tag  or there is also a TAG column.  

Example of Sub-Category….
    Auto:Auto Fuel
    Auto:Maintance

Example of Tags…
    Auto Fuel/Toyota
    Auto Fuel/Ford

I have a home business and  use Tags  for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Business Expense:Supplies/Maple Street

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.