Same account values are different in different "views"

Since Qkn. Premier ver. R33.24 was installed, I can not understand my investing acct. values. In the view; Home, View 1, investment accts., the acct values do not match the values shown in the view; Investing tab, Recent Performance, Market Value. Second, in the Home view1, investment accts., what does "Ending Balance" mean, and how is it different from "Current Balance"? This update really made Qkn more difficult!

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I'm exactly following along with you here other than to understand that some Account balances are showing up differently in different places within Quicken. 
    That Investing tab view you've mentioned is "customizable."  Have you looked under the Accounts and Securities tabs of the "Customize Current View" window to make sure that the Accounts and Securities shown there are all-inclusive?
    Generally "Ending Balance" displays an Account's value that includes every transaction posted to the Account, including "future" transactions, while "Current Balance" refers to the Account's balance "today."  In some places within Quicken you can choose to display one or the other of these balances.
  • plcoira
    plcoira Member ✭✭
    Tom, your comment led me to look at an acct that was shown in the acct list with zero value because I closed it some time ago but did not close it out in Qkn. So I went to the acct status screen and clicked "close acct" and Qkn will not close it because it shows a -17000 acct value. Entering an error correction transaction to zero this out does not work. How can I set the "securities value" to zero so that I can close the acct in Qkn? THANKS.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @plcoira

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're having. I'm wondering here what exactly does the error say when you try adding a transaction to correct the error. The account doesn't show closed in Quicken so we should still be able to adjust the shares to 0 to close correctly.  Could you get a screenshot of what the error says when you try adding the transaction. I'll leave an article down below showing how to do so. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once you get a chance let us know more and we'll see what we can do to correct the issue you're having.

Thanks.
    Quicken Francisco
  • plcoira
    plcoira Member ✭✭
    Francisco, thanks for the response. I attach a clip showing an account I am trying to close. Note that it shows zero holdings, but non-zero value. So Quicken will not let it be closed. If I enter an error correction transaction, then the holdings are non-zero, and the value is zero. Quicken will not let me close that either.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please back up your data file just in case, then go to File > Validate and Repair file and validate, using the Validate file and Rebuild investing lots options.

Note the menu structure has changed in this area.

Let us know if that fixes it.

QWin Premier subscription
  • plcoira
    plcoira Member ✭✭
    Jim, thanks. I tried this and it made no change. I am stuck.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible your situation is caused by hidden Placeholders in the account. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked.

Back in the account's transaction list (register) are there Placeholders that are adjusting your share balances? 

Also have there been stock options in this account? Sometimes these can cause problems if they have not been closed out properly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • plcoira
    plcoira Member ✭✭
    THANKS, Jim. I found and deleted a placeholder, and I deleted my recent error correction entries. Attached is a screenshot of the account holdings which should be zero. It shows the money market fund with an erroneous cost basis, and erroneous cash holdings.
  • plcoira
    plcoira Member ✭✭
    Jim, I have entered new error correction entries to zero out all holdings, but there are still non-zero numbers in the account value which prevents Quicken from closing the account. See the attached screenshot. I looked at the account history, and the only error I noticed was a large negative number for the cost basis of the money market fund. There was no single transaction that accounted for this erroneous number. How can I edit a cost basis number??
This discussion has been closed.