After the 1 year subscription

wings9798
wings9798 Member ✭✭✭
I've been a Q user since 1995. I've only bought 4 versions and currently have 2017. I don't mind not being able to use online features, but would like to use some of the newer features. If I do the subscription and do not renew, what happens? Am I blocked for accessing my data or can I still use it like I use 2017 today?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

See this page for ongoing access to your data if you do not renew the subscription.  You can still enter new transactions manually, except for the Starter Edition which becomes read only and is limited.  

If you don't renew a subscription about 25% of your screen will be taken up with a reminder to renew.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See this thread: Expiration-Banner

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• This is the reason I have not gone to their subscription service. I still use Q2016 Deluxe. I used to upgrade every three years, as I enter all my transactions manually, I don't download anything except stock quotes. Until such time as they offer a download version that does not require a subscription to keep functioning normally without all of the pop-ups, I will stick with my Q2016 version. It is there loss, as I have been a Quicken user since the 1990's.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you enter everything manually (like me) why do you need to get the new version?  I'm still staying on Quicken 2013.   ps....don't tell anyone but I'm still able to download guotes.   They did turn if off for awhile but turned it back on.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    volvogirl said:
    If you enter everything manually (like me) why do you need to get the new version?
    I'd just note that while your statement might be true for Windows users, I feel the equation is different for Mac users.

The re-written Quicken for Mac debuted as Quicken 2015, and it was significantly lacking in many features. The last pre-subscription version, Quicken 2017, had made some significant improvements over the first release, but there were still hundreds of features -- some very major -- which users were waiting for. In the ensuing four years, the Mac development team has made a lot of progress, improving the program in many areas. and it's still a work-in-progress, as many features remain on the wishlist/roadmap for future development.

Even if you enter everything manually (as I do!),  I would say that someone sticking with Quicken for Mac 2017 is doing themselves a disservice because of all the improvements to the software that have been made over the past four years, and continue to be made with releases every month or two.

Again, this point is specifically for Mac users; Quicken Windows is a very mature software product, and the enhancements over recent years are likely not nearly as compelling as the changes in the Mac product.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • wings9798
    wings9798 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I’ve accidentally found some gaps in their prevention from downloads. For example yesterday unallowed my credit union from downloading transactions. It froze the app and had to close it. When I came back all my transactions for my credit cards downloaded for the past 4 months. Also it’s happened when I change accounts to sync to budgets. I’ll stick with 2017 [Removed-Disruptive]
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @wings9798 I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. If you disconnect your accounts from downloading, nothing will download. Period. In my primary data file, I have no accounts set up to download, and no transactions download, ever. They can't, because Quicken doesn't have any credentials to log into any of my financial accounts. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • wings9798
    wings9798 Member ✭✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @wings9798 I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. If you disconnect your accounts from downloading, nothing will download. Period. In my primary data file, I have no accounts set up to download, and no transactions download, ever. They can't, because Quicken doesn't have any credentials to log into any of my financial accounts. 

It's happened a few times. When you change an account or budget from online sync, I think Quicken goes through it's sync process and will download activities. The credit card I changed from online to manual, nothing happened but the other accounts that are still set to download, downloaded.
This discussion has been closed.