Use Quicken Web to sync between two computers?

R. Barre
R. Barre Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Using the Mobile App
I have Quicken on my desktop, and I can access that file with Quicken Web. I just bought a laptop, and can access Quicken Web on the laptop as well. A change to the account from my desktop shows up on the desktop's app and also on the laptop via Quicken Web.

I then installed the Quicken app on my laptop, but cannot seem to get Quicken Web to sync the account to the laptop. I'm not sure if this is how I'm supposed to keep the two computers in sync or not, but am I correct that the only way I can see the desktop's account on my laptop is via Quicken Web, and not via the app?

Best Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @R. Barre

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. Quicken Sync/cloud is a service that's used to sync your computer to your phone/web. The Sync does not sync between two different computers. Quicken does not have a way to sync a file between two computers. If you would like to use the Quicken application on both computers you would need to have two files with one located on each computer. You could also load a file onto a flash drive and use it in-between each computer so that you only have one file.

If you have any questions about the sync or files let us know!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The file that's uploaded from your Q desktop app to the Q Cloud (for use by Q Web and Q  Mobile) is but a small subset of your entire Q data file.
    AND, some types of Q accounts can't be uploaded to the Q Cloud at all.
    What you CAN do, however, is to use Dropbox/etc to upload your Q BACKUP data file to the cloud.  This is a complete copy of your Q data file, and that can then be downloaded to the other computer (although, I find using a USB drive to be simpler).
    NOTE that you can't upload your LIVE Q data file to Dropbox/etc ... because those apps will grab control of the file and prevent you from re-opening it until they're done.  Just before Q does a backup, it briefly closes the data file to force any write operations to conclusion.  Dropbox grabs the file when Q does this ... and then prevents Q from re-opening the file to take the actual backup.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @R. Barre

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. Quicken Sync/cloud is a service that's used to sync your computer to your phone/web. The Sync does not sync between two different computers. Quicken does not have a way to sync a file between two computers. If you would like to use the Quicken application on both computers you would need to have two files with one located on each computer. You could also load a file onto a flash drive and use it in-between each computer so that you only have one file.

If you have any questions about the sync or files let us know!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The file that's uploaded from your Q desktop app to the Q Cloud (for use by Q Web and Q  Mobile) is but a small subset of your entire Q data file.
    AND, some types of Q accounts can't be uploaded to the Q Cloud at all.
    What you CAN do, however, is to use Dropbox/etc to upload your Q BACKUP data file to the cloud.  This is a complete copy of your Q data file, and that can then be downloaded to the other computer (although, I find using a USB drive to be simpler).
    NOTE that you can't upload your LIVE Q data file to Dropbox/etc ... because those apps will grab control of the file and prevent you from re-opening it until they're done.  Just before Q does a backup, it briefly closes the data file to force any write operations to conclusion.  Dropbox grabs the file when Q does this ... and then prevents Q from re-opening the file to take the actual backup.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• R. Barre
    R. Barre Member ✭✭
    Thank you both for your quick responses.
This discussion has been closed.