Is there are way to download postdated transactions or is it financial institution dependant?

Mike_59
Mike_59 Member ✭✭
I like to configure a postdated payment of tax, credit card and other liabilities directly on my bank's website. However, it would be nice to have these download to Quicken rather than having to enter manually. Am wondering if this is a Quicken feature or if the issue lies with the financial institutions themselves?

Best Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect it would lie with the financial institution as they are the ones making the transactions available for download.

I am a Bank of America customer and I set up Bill Pay transactions with future dates (credit card monthly payments, utilities, etc.) ....those future dated transactions do download into Quicken when I set them up at the Bank of America website; I don't have to wait until the payment date to pass for the downloads to occur. There is a lightening bolt icon in Quicken indicating these to me.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @Mike_59,

If I understand correctly, you are entering payment transactions - for payments that you want your bank to make in the future - on your bank's website.  Then you are also entering those same payments into the bank account register in Quicken.  You would like to be able to download those payment transactions from your bank PRIOR to when the bank processes the payments.  If the above is correct, my understanding is that financial institutions generally only download actual historical transactions - not future transactions (at least this is the case for the ones I deal with.

You are a Mac user, so there could be a difference in how Quicken works (from the Windows version), but I would suggest that - rather than entering those future transactions on your bank's website, that you enter them in Quicken first and than transmit them to your bank - through Quicken.  You can schedule those in advance and effectively eliminate the duplication.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It depends on the bank and the connection type. With Quicken Connect connections, you will never see future-dated not-yet-posted transactions being downloaded. This is because Q/C "screen scrapes" the cleared transaction list from your bank's website. 

With Direct Connect connection type, at least for certain banks, a future dated payment can show up in the download as can the cancellation of that payment. (I've tested this with my bank, Salem Five.) However, I'm not sure why you'd want to do this because you could instead just enter the future dated payment as a bill pay from within Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect it would lie with the financial institution as they are the ones making the transactions available for download.

I am a Bank of America customer and I set up Bill Pay transactions with future dates (credit card monthly payments, utilities, etc.) ....those future dated transactions do download into Quicken when I set them up at the Bank of America website; I don't have to wait until the payment date to pass for the downloads to occur. There is a lightening bolt icon in Quicken indicating these to me.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @Mike_59,

If I understand correctly, you are entering payment transactions - for payments that you want your bank to make in the future - on your bank's website.  Then you are also entering those same payments into the bank account register in Quicken.  You would like to be able to download those payment transactions from your bank PRIOR to when the bank processes the payments.  If the above is correct, my understanding is that financial institutions generally only download actual historical transactions - not future transactions (at least this is the case for the ones I deal with.

You are a Mac user, so there could be a difference in how Quicken works (from the Windows version), but I would suggest that - rather than entering those future transactions on your bank's website, that you enter them in Quicken first and than transmit them to your bank - through Quicken.  You can schedule those in advance and effectively eliminate the duplication.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It depends on the bank and the connection type. With Quicken Connect connections, you will never see future-dated not-yet-posted transactions being downloaded. This is because Q/C "screen scrapes" the cleared transaction list from your bank's website. 

With Direct Connect connection type, at least for certain banks, a future dated payment can show up in the download as can the cancellation of that payment. (I've tested this with my bank, Salem Five.) However, I'm not sure why you'd want to do this because you could instead just enter the future dated payment as a bill pay from within Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mike_59
    Mike_59 Member ✭✭
    @RickO @Frankx @Mark1104 - Thank you for your quick responses guys.
This discussion has been closed.