Should Household goods fall under the Home category or Shopping category?

Options
Regla Rojas
Regla Rojas Member ✭✭
Hello everyone!
I seem to be spending heavily on the household goods category which I have it under (Home). Should I put the category under the (Shopping) category? Was wondering how everyone is doing that works best for them.
Thanks!!!

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Regla Rojas

It really is completely up to your personal preferences on how you categorize spending (or anything else) in Quicken - in other words, for most things (but especially for non-tax and long-life assets like homes and cars, etc.) whatever works best for you is okay.

Personally, I use a "Household Supplies" category for the smaller stuff that we purchase regularly, and "Household Furniture & Equipment" for the larger things that are bought less often.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I agree it's up to personal preference.

One thing I'd note, however, is that if you rely on Quicken auto-categorizing your transactions for Payees for whom you don't have QuickFill rules to categorize, then using Quicken's default category will allow auto-categorization to work. Quicken's auto-categorization engine won't work with categories you create on your own. (But with QuickFill rules to apply categories to frequently-used Payees, using your own categories is perfectly okay.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.