Cap Gains - determining which source - buy/sell stock vs mutual fund generated gains

Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
One thing that haunts me at tax time - is Cap Gains -
I would like to determine how much is getting generated from my stock buy/sell vs the less common gains generated directly from mutual funds.
I was thinking of going back thru my various FI and look for the buy/sell entries and add a "tag" and then report on that tag to see how much Cap Gains are self inflicted.
Even though the Cap Gains are taxed at the nice & lower tax rate, at least I would know the source.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you want to make the determination along the line so of cap gains from "stock" I've sold vs cap gains from mutual funds I've sold?  Ignoring _LTCapGnDst and _STCapGnDst Categories?
    It seems like the "Type" options in the Capital Gains would make that distinction for you.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a rabbit hole - it appears the Report --> Investments --> Cap Gains
    is really only showing Buy/Sell type transactions
    and not the other subtle Sh/Lg Cap Gains assoc with mutual funds.
    SO... I went with the Investments --> Transactions to see all the entries ... and review the totals displays.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me the Tax Summary report would be helpful.  That (for me) lists separately LT CapGnDst, ST CapGnDst, and Realized Gain.  The first two would be 'generated by MF'; the latter 'self-inflicted'.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run the Investment Transactions report and subtotal by Category, you should see separate sections for _LT CapGnDist, _ST CapGnDist, and _RlzdGain.

The CapGnDist Categories are the capital gain distributions from your funds and the RlzdGain is from the gains/losses on your sales. 

Is this what you are looking for?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    Seems to me the Tax Summary report would be helpful.  That (for me) lists separately LT CapGnDst, ST CapGnDst, and Realized Gain. 
    my "shorts" are not showing up in Short Term Gains and Losses - but the "longs" from the end of year MF.. are showing up.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    If you run the Investment Transactions report and subtotal by Category, you should see separate sections for _LT CapGnDist, _ST CapGnDist, and _RlzdGain.

The CapGnDist Categories are the capital gain distributions from your funds and the RlzdGain is from the gains/losses on your sales.
    That's kinda what I've been starting to do -
    create that overall everything report - and then UN-check the accounts and other stuff to whittle it down....  
    It was just that the Reports --> Investments --> "Cap Gains" report wasn't showing these transactions.
    And the Tax Planner (2020) wasn't showing the shorts..... so everywhere I looked for the easy click and show was not working as expected.

Just trying to match up with the entries on the IRS 8949 - and see where the Cap Gains are getting generated....
    Either from large internal turnovers in MF vs the self-inflicted from stock sales.
    Another reason to look at ETFs vs their underlying MF.... but that's a different forum.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    q_lurker said:
    Seems to me the Tax Summary report would be helpful.  That (for me) lists separately LT CapGnDst, ST CapGnDst, and Realized Gain. 
    my "shorts" are not showing up in Short Term Gains and Losses - but the "longs" from the end of year MF.. are showing up.

The short term capital gains may be getting recorded as dividend distributions since they are taxed that way. 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Just trying to match up with the entries on the IRS 8949"
    Form 8949 only reports "your sales" be they sales of stock or mutual funds. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah - I keep tripping over the same things....
    it really starts back on Sched B- and divs and then Box2a for Cap Gain Distributions... which is what we see from the MF.
    and like you say @Tom Young - the 8949 is for the "self inflicted" sales....
    I need to just list everything again in a spreadsheet - which is what I usually do after 1040 time....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10