Use on Mac and Windows ??

I have a macbook pro and a Windows 10 laptop. I alternate using them depending upon my immediate need. I have a handful of previously purchased apps on the Windows machine, and I recently purchased the Macbook Pro. Would it be problematic to switch between the 2 when using Quicken? If so, is there one I should use as the primary machine? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, indeed, it's problematic to alternate using the two computers. First, Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows are different, and each has its own database file format. It is possible to migrate from Windows to Mac, but not possible to migrate from Mac to Windows. (Well, you can, but investment transactions are lost in that direction, which makes this not viable for most users.) Second, Quicken always relies on its data file being resident on the computer's hard drive. (So even if you have two Macs or two Windows PCs, you'd need to do a little jumping through hoops to pass the data file back and forth between the computers safely.)

There are several alternatives and work-arounds…

1) If one of the computers can be left on all the time, then you could use a simple screen sharing utility on the other computer to remotely access Quicken on the always-on computer. Either Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac could be the application you use. 

2) You could leave Quicken on one of the computers, and use the web interface for Quicken on the other computer to do some (not all) of your Quicken work on the subset of your data which is synced via Quicken's cloud server and your desktop Quicken application. Either Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac could be the application you use. 

3) You could get virtual machine software (such as Parallels) for your Mac, install a license of Windows 10 in that VM, and install Quicken Windows in the Windows VM. Then you could pass the Windows data file back and forth between the two computers. In this case, you'd commit to using Quicken Windows.

4) It ain't easy, but you could do the reverse of #3: install a virtual machine on your Windows computer, install macOS in that VM, and install Quicken Mac in the Mac VM. Apple doesn't make it easy to create and install a VM on a Windows machine, but if you Google "hackintosh" you'll see that it is possible for the technically inclined. I would not recommend attempting this set-up for a number of reasons I won't elaborate on here. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, indeed, it's problematic to alternate using the two computers. First, Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows are different, and each has its own database file format. It is possible to migrate from Windows to Mac, but not possible to migrate from Mac to Windows. (Well, you can, but investment transactions are lost in that direction, which makes this not viable for most users.) Second, Quicken always relies on its data file being resident on the computer's hard drive. (So even if you have two Macs or two Windows PCs, you'd need to do a little jumping through hoops to pass the data file back and forth between the computers safely.)

There are several alternatives and work-arounds…

1) If one of the computers can be left on all the time, then you could use a simple screen sharing utility on the other computer to remotely access Quicken on the always-on computer. Either Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac could be the application you use. 

2) You could leave Quicken on one of the computers, and use the web interface for Quicken on the other computer to do some (not all) of your Quicken work on the subset of your data which is synced via Quicken's cloud server and your desktop Quicken application. Either Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac could be the application you use. 

3) You could get virtual machine software (such as Parallels) for your Mac, install a license of Windows 10 in that VM, and install Quicken Windows in the Windows VM. Then you could pass the Windows data file back and forth between the two computers. In this case, you'd commit to using Quicken Windows.

4) It ain't easy, but you could do the reverse of #3: install a virtual machine on your Windows computer, install macOS in that VM, and install Quicken Mac in the Mac VM. Apple doesn't make it easy to create and install a VM on a Windows machine, but if you Google "hackintosh" you'll see that it is possible for the technically inclined. I would not recommend attempting this set-up for a number of reasons I won't elaborate on here. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • steveweiss
    steveweiss Member
    Thanks....I had a feeling those were the options. I'm a Windows Super User and just recently acquiesced to my wife and kids to also get a Macbook. I'll stick to the Windows device; I hear Quicken has a few features which may not yet translate to the Mac.
    Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.....
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"steveweiss ,

When you buy Quicken, you are actually buying Quicken Membership. It is that simple.

When you log into your Quicken My Account, you have the ability to download the Quicken for Windows for your Windows Computer.

And you can also download Quicken Mac from your Mac Computer at no additional charge.

Note: There is no Quicken Home & Business for the MAC Computer, only for Windows.

However, you do have Quicken Starter, Deluxe and Premier for both Windows and MAC Computers, available.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.