Budget Summary Mislabeled

When I look at a monthly budget the budget and actuals and results are summarized at the bottom of the report. However, the inbedded words are misleading/mislabeled. Specifically, on the far left Summary column the labels are titled "Budgeted Income" and "Budgeted Expenses." Shouldn't they simply read Income and Expenses since the second and third columns are "Budgeted" and" Actual?" By adding the word Budgeted under the far left category you mislead the reader. If this is an acceptable change request, how are the developers contacted for suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The entire 1-month budget screen is something of a relic, a carry-over from the 2010 Quicken Essentials product which served as the core code base for the modern Quicken Mac program nearly 5 years later. In the early years of Quicken Mac, it was the only budget available, before the annual budget functionality was added. On the 1-month budget screen, there are no adjustments a user can make in the layout or formatting of the screen, and printing it wastes  an inordinate amount of paper. I mention the background only to note that I think the developers will eventually do a top-to-bottom makeover of the 1-month budget -- and until they do, I'd guess they aren't likely to make aesthetic tweaks to the screen.

But to answer your question: to make a suggestion for program enhancement, go to the "Product Ideas -Quicken for Mac" section of this forum, select the appropriate sub-topic, and click the blue "New Idea" button at the upper right. Idea posts automatically have a place where fellow users can vote for enhancements they would like to see; those ideas which get traction with users are eventually forwarded to the developers for consideration. 

P.S. And yes, I think you're correct that in the summary section at the bottom of the 1-month budget screen, the left column labels should say simply "Income" and "Expenses". 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TMM
    TMM Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Jacob for prompt and thorough response. I'll leave my thought at the Product Ideas site you recommend. Good to know. Thanks again.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The entire 1-month budget screen is something of a relic, a carry-over from the 2010 Quicken Essentials product which served as the core code base for the modern Quicken Mac program nearly 5 years later. In the early years of Quicken Mac, it was the only budget available, before the annual budget functionality was added. On the 1-month budget screen, there are no adjustments a user can make in the layout or formatting of the screen, and printing it wastes  an inordinate amount of paper. I mention the background only to note that I think the developers will eventually do a top-to-bottom makeover of the 1-month budget -- and until they do, I'd guess they aren't likely to make aesthetic tweaks to the screen.

But to answer your question: to make a suggestion for program enhancement, go to the "Product Ideas -Quicken for Mac" section of this forum, select the appropriate sub-topic, and click the blue "New Idea" button at the upper right. Idea posts automatically have a place where fellow users can vote for enhancements they would like to see; those ideas which get traction with users are eventually forwarded to the developers for consideration. 

P.S. And yes, I think you're correct that in the summary section at the bottom of the 1-month budget screen, the left column labels should say simply "Income" and "Expenses". 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TMM
    TMM Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Jacob for prompt and thorough response. I'll leave my thought at the Product Ideas site you recommend. Good to know. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.