Stock symbol changed - how to properly enter

Options
mjonis
mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
OK, I have this in TD Ameritrade, and it auto-downloaded, so I'm trying to figure out how to fix this.
GHVI symbol (purchased at a certain price, etc.) changed to:
MTTR
It's not Quicken's fault (I'm assuming it's how TD Ameritrade put the info in the download) but Quicken thinks it's a stock split. So I de-selected that and the transactions were entered as a "shares removed" and then an "Added". So the share # is correct. However, now the share PRICE (purchase price) is all mucked up for the MTTR (in holdings). But I can't see how to edit that information.

Best ideas/advice to resolve so that Shares and "purchase" price are correct?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Did you have just one tax lot of GHVI? If so and if the transaction was tax free, the Removed/Added combination should be OK. If you edit the Added transaction for MTTR, you can specify the purchase date and price. You would use the original GHVI purchase price and date to preserve the cost basis info.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Options
    You can't entirely rely on "downloads" to always get to the correct answer in Quicken. 
    To change the symbol look at the Help guidance here:
    You might want to enter a reminder to yourself in the memo field.  Maybe "Last transaction using GHVI symbol" in the memo field for the last transaction downloaded using that symbol and maybe "First transaction using MTTR symbol" in the memo field of the first legitimate transaction after the change.
    Delete the downloads.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank Tom.
    In this case, the "holdings" data is correct, EXCEPT that it has no purchase price for the MTTR stock. And I can't see any way to edit THAT in Quicken.
  • mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Tom Young said:
    > You can't entirely rely on "downloads" to always get to the correct answer in Quicken. 
    > To change the symbol look at the Help guidance here:https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216574You might want to enter a reminder to yourself in the memo field.  Maybe "Last transaction using GHVI symbol" in the memo field for the last transaction downloaded using that symbol and maybe "First transaction using MTTR symbol" in the memo field of the first legitimate transaction after the change.Delete the downloads.

also the instructions are either wrong, or don't match Quicken 2019 (I'm on the latest build):
    Click OK. Quicken prompts you as to whether you want to keep the price history associated with the old ticker symbol, or delete the history and start over. The recommended procedure is to keep the price history.
    When Quicken prompts you as to how you want to handle the price history, select Copy quotes from [old ticker] to [new ticker].

No, it doesn't ask me if I want to keep the price history or delete and start over. And it doesn't give me the option to "copy quotes".
    The exact dialogue after you click OK:

Pops up and says:
    Your price history is based on the security symbol. How to d you want to handle this symbol change?
    Merge quotes from GHVI into MTTR
    OR
    Delete quotes for GHVI

There's no "copy" option and nothing called "keep price history".
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Did you have just one tax lot of GHVI? If so and if the transaction was tax free, the Removed/Added combination should be OK. If you edit the Added transaction for MTTR, you can specify the purchase date and price. You would use the original GHVI purchase price and date to preserve the cost basis info.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "In this case, the "holdings" data is correct, EXCEPT that it has no purchase price for the MTTR stock. And I can't see any way to edit THAT in Quicken."
    I'd suggest simply deleting the downloaded Add and going with the symbol change as that's what really happened.  But you can edit an Add and enter the price either as "per share" or as a total for all shares.

Use the "Merge" option.  Same action as "copy." 

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Did you have just one tax lot of GHVI? If so and if the transaction was tax free, the Removed/Added combination should be OK. If you edit the Added transaction for MTTR, you can specify the purchase date and price. You would use the original GHVI purchase price and date to preserve the cost basis info.

Thanks, that worked perfectly!
This discussion has been closed.