Some of my security reports don't add 4 numbers correctly. - Return of Capital vs Dividends

pmkelly53
pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investing (Windows)
When I subtotal by Year, most subtotals are correct. Four of them have incorrect totals. The last year totals to zero.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    @pmkelly53. Have you by chance edited dividend transactions to become RtrnCap transactions?  I vaguely recall Quicken not getting some internal pointer reset when that or something similar is done. 
    You might see if totally deleting the RtrnCap transaction and re-entering it from scratch makes a difference. 

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @pmkelly53 - more detail required..... what version of Q?  what specific report? how do you have the drop down settings set?  do you have specific securities / accounts unchecked? does that affect prior years? when you state '4 of them' - are you referring to 4 reports or 4 sub-totals within a given report? 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much is it off by?  There might be more places after the decimal point that's not showing and/or rounding.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    I am using Quicken Premier for Windows Version R34.24.
    It is a security report, reporting on one security using all dates, subtotaling by year. This will generally show me my four quarterly dividends per year. The subtotals are off by the amount of the first dividend. Not every year is incorrect. And how do you explain the current year with 2 dividends subtotaling zero??? If I could add the pdf you could see it. However I can not find any way to add a document to this post.
  • pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    It happens to be only on a MLP with return of capital transactions. 2017 and 2018 are off by the amount of the first transaction of each year. 2021 shows return of capital of 167.58 and another return of capital of 167.58 with these two transactions subtotaling 0.00
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    are they dividends or return of capital - there is a difference.... what action is used for the transactions in question? _div or RtrnCap? is it consistent for each of the 4 quarters for each year? 
  • pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    I stated previously that it is return of capital. All years are correct except the three years that I stated were not correct.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    pmkelly53 said:
    I am using Quicken Premier for Windows Version R34.24.
    It is a security report, reporting on one security using all dates, subtotaling by year. This will generally show me my four quarterly dividends per year. The subtotals are off by the amount of the first dividend. Not every year is incorrect. And how do you explain the current year with 2 dividends subtotaling zero??? If I could add the pdf you could see it. However I can not find any way to add a document to this post.
    To add the PDF as an attachment to a comment, drag and drop the pdf file onto the comment's text entry box.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I stated previously that it is return of capital. All years are correct except the three years that I stated were not correct.

but you kept using the word 'dividends' ???????

This will generally show me my four quarterly dividends per year. The subtotals are off by the amount of the first dividend. Not every year is incorrect. And how do you explain the current year with 2 dividends subtotaling zero??

have you tried a 'validate and repair'? 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the TAX YEAR of each of those 1st payments?  Could it be the prior year?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    I have added the subtotals using the calculator and find that when it is off it is off by the amount of one of the return of capital transaction amounts. In one report with only two years subtotaling by year, both subtotals were zero. This error is only on securities with return of capital transactions. Security Reports with Dividends and other types are correct in there totals and subtotals.
  • pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock
    If you notice the highlighted transactions and the subtotals are incorrect.
    This is true for any security report that contains Return of Capital transactions.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    @pmkelly53. Have you by chance edited dividend transactions to become RtrnCap transactions?  I vaguely recall Quicken not getting some internal pointer reset when that or something similar is done. 
    You might see if totally deleting the RtrnCap transaction and re-entering it from scratch makes a difference. 
  • pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    They are always downloaded from my broker as dividend and I change them to Return of Capital. I will try adding the Return of Capital and deleting the changed transaction.
  • pmkelly53
    pmkelly53 Member ✭✭
    :) Thank you q_lurker. That is what seems to be the problem. When I add RtnCap transaction and delete the old changed transaction, the subtotals are correct.
    Now I have some work ahead of me to add and delete these transactions.