Update security name for multiple transactions

I want to update security name for multiple transactions in my 401K account. e.g. I want to keep symbol name instead of the security name. Can I do it for the multiple transactions at once based on the certain filter criteria?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Press Ctrl + Y, right-click on the security and select Edit, update the name, and select OK.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the correct answer is still NO.

You can ease the process of doing one transactions at a time by 
    a) sorting the transactions list by security -- all the transactions you want to change will be grouped together and that grouping will shrink as you make the change
    b) make use of the Copy / paste options -- you can rather quickly highlight the name of the current security in the transaction, Ctrl-V to paste in the desired new name, then click the save icon or similar to save the change. 

I think you may find it goes faster than expected.   
  • baccounts
    baccounts Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker This can work as a workaround but not exactly what I am looking for. e.g. If you find transactions by providing security symbol in Find dialog then it lists all the transactions (let's say 200 transactions I want to update). There is a Edit Transactions button on the window. But it does not get enabled. It would be great if I can update multiple transactions there by selecting and updating the values there.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    (unlike @Sherlock), I assumed you wanted to change some transactions that referred to ‘Securityname’ but not all.  I still think that. And the answer is still No, you can’t do that for multiple transactions in one step. 
  • baccounts
    baccounts Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker That is correct, I want to update only some transactions and not all. I have few transactions updated with the security symbol and few others are with the security name. Also, the latest downloaded transactions are with the security name so I am forced to keep security name instead of the symbol in the Security Name field. I don't see any way to apply the rule when the transactions are downloaded and they can be updated with the security symbol automatically. I wish Quicken team can think about this feature.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe @Sherlock  is correct, if I am following you.  It sounds like you sometimes named securities with their name and sometimes named them with their symbol.  If that is the case then all you need to do is edit the name at the edit security page as @Sherlock stated and it will be updated in all of the transactions where that security was used.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    baccounts said:
    @q_lurker That is correct, I want to update only some transactions and not all. I have few transactions updated with the security symbol and few others are with the security name. Also, the latest downloaded transactions are with the security name so I am forced to keep security name instead of the symbol in the Security Name field. I don't see any way to apply the rule when the transactions are downloaded and they can be updated with the security symbol automatically. I wish Quicken team can think about this feature.
    I suspect you may have mismatched the Quicken security with the online security. 

The CUSIP ID is provided by the financial institution when we download transactions. The CUSIP ID is assigned to a Quicken security when we match an online security to a Quicken security.   Quicken should prompt to match an online security to a Quicken security when the financial institution provides a security with a CUSIP ID that has not been assigned to a Quicken security.  If a Quicken security has been mismatched, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window and the Quicken security will become available to be matched to an online security when Quicken next encounters an unmatched online security.

I suggest you uncheck Matched with online security for the mismatched securities.

If you have created two Quicken securities for the same online security, the only way to resolve the issue is to replace the occurrences of one of the securities with the other.  When one of the securities is no longer referenced, you will be able to delete the security.

Note: We are not forced to keep security name.  The only requirement is that the name we use not be the same as one that already exists.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_L said:
    I believe @Sherlock  is correct, if I am following you.  It sounds like you sometimes named securities with their name and sometimes named them with their symbol.  If that is the case then all you need to do is edit the name at the edit security page as @Sherlock stated and it will be updated in all of the transactions where that security was used.
    Editing the security name does not allow you to change the name to one that matches a security already in your data.  If you have a security with the name 'Ford' and a different security with the name 'F', You cannot edit the "Ford' to 'F' or the 'F' to 'Ford'.  I stand by my prior advice. 
  • baccounts
    baccounts Member ✭✭
    I agree with @q_lurker. Editing the security name was not allowing me to change the name due to an existing data. I finally updated my transactions the way it was suggested by @q_lurker since there was not any other efficient way in this scenario.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    Bob_L said:
    Editing the security name does not allow you to change the name to one that matches a security already in your data.  If you have a security with the name 'Ford' and a different security with the name 'F', You cannot edit the "Ford' to 'F' or the 'F' to 'Ford'.  I stand by my prior advice. 
    I completely agree, and did not say otherwise.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home