Transaction Register Summary is different from Account Overview Holdings

On my transaction register summary at the bottom, it shows Securities$370,400.14 (incorrect). It should be $446,054.79. Cash is $26,343.97 (correct).
When I click on Account Overview Holdings, each security line item is correct in the market value but Cash is wrong -$49,310.69.
How do I fix the discrepancies? Thanks.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    One thing you can do is set the As of date in the Holdings view to earlier dates and compare the cash there to the cash shown in the Cash Bal column of the transaction list for the same date. Look at the oldest transaction when the values start to disagree and if something is wrong or unusual, correct it. Sometimes deleting and re-entering the transaction will fix this sort of problem.

To avoid confusion, go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. 

Be sure to back up your data before making historical changes, so you can restore if necessary.

Please let us know what you find.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    edited August 2021
    A couple of things to check:

[correction - both the Holdings view and the numbers at the bottom of the transaction list are as of today.] Are there future dated transactions in the transaction list? The holdings view will be as of the date selected but the transaction list will be the value after the last transaction in the list.

If that does not explain it, try doing a Validate and Repair. In R34.24, this is accessed directly from the File menu. 
  • Suan
    Suan Member
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the Validate & Repair as you suggested. Exited Quicken and came back in. Problem still exists. Any other ideas? Thanks,
    Suan
  • Jim_Harman
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    One thing you can do is set the As of date in the Holdings view to earlier dates and compare the cash there to the cash shown in the Cash Bal column of the transaction list for the same date. Look at the oldest transaction when the values start to disagree and if something is wrong or unusual, correct it. Sometimes deleting and re-entering the transaction will fix this sort of problem.

To avoid confusion, go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. 

Be sure to back up your data before making historical changes, so you can restore if necessary.

Please let us know what you find.
  • Suan
    Suan Member
    You are a genius Jim! I found the offending transaction, fixed it and everything balanced. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!!!
  • Jim_Harman
    That is good to hear, @Suan.

For reference, what type of transaction caused the problem and how did you fix it?
  • Suan
    Suan Member
    It was a transaction with action Bought of some shares. Inv Amt was correct. Cash Amt showed n/a. Cash Balance was correct.
    So I changed that transaction from Bought to Adjust Share Balance and that took care of the problem.
    I think the original transaction should have been Adjust Share Balance as I had several of those on that same day for other securities. For some reason, that was the odd one that had Bought in the Action.
    These were really old transactions from 2006. I'm not sure when it got out of synch. I just noticed it recently. Your advice on adjusting the As of Date in holdings allowed me to go back and find the offending transaction.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you're describing here - the Bought action showing "N/A" in the cash column - means that the Account had placeholders in it.  In fact the "several"  Adjust Share Balance actions you describe as occurring on that day probably are placeholders that popped up that day and that you accepted, turning the transaction from placeholders to Adjust Share Balance actions. 
    At this point it may be difficult to figure out what caused the original placeholders to pop up, but for future reference you should generally NOT accept placeholders into the Account but instead figure out why the placeholder(s) is/are being proposed and make corrections - which might include not letting the placeholder be entered into the transaction list at all because the proposed placeholder is simply wrong.
  • Suan
    Suan Member
    I see. Good to know not to accept placeholders in the future. Thanks for your explanations.