Updating share prices for securities without symbol

Options
We have an investment account with 2 securities that do not have symbols and will not be updated from the web. I've tried several times to update the price of each so that the value of our account will be current. Each time I update one of the securities, the other security also changes to the price I enter. What am I doing wrong? This is a Prudential account, so updating via connection doesn't truly work. Any help would be appreciated!!

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In a test file I created a new offline Account and as part of the setup told Quicken about the two (fictitious) securities in the Account, leaving the ticker symbol blank.  Then I changed the quotes on the two securities several times, not seeing what you're describing.
    Did you enter anything at all in the Ticker box for these two securities?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In a test file I created a new offline Account and as part of the setup told Quicken about the two (fictitious) securities in the Account, leaving the ticker symbol blank.  Then I changed the quotes on the two securities several times, not seeing what you're describing.
    Did you enter anything at all in the Ticker box for these two securities?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So... how do you have the security entered into Quicken to track it ?
    For me, I created a virtual security with some made up name, and added that to our 529 account to track it.   When I received a 529 statement, I would merely go to the virtual security I had created, and add a new "price" entry for the Price History - which of course would then have the 529 account reflect the current balance...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• PMcG
    PMcG Member
    Options
    Tom Young...thank you!!! It had a ticker symbol as NULL in both. I deleted the symbols and was able to change both values and now the account is up to date and matches the value from the last statement. I appreciate your help!!