Switching from PC to MAC

I have a Windows subscription that isn't due for renewal for about six months. I have recently purchased a MAC M1 and would like to download Quicken onto the MAC and start using it instead of the PC. Can I do this without forfeiting my remaining paid subscription?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    To summarize the two responses above: yes, you can download and use Quicken Mac as part of your current subscription, in addition to or instead of Quicken Windows. And you can transfer your Quicken Windows data file to Quicken Mac (there are some caveats about what doesn't transfer), but it's a one-way trip as you can't go back from Mac to Windows. You may want to convert your data and use the Windows and Mac version in parallel for a short time while you make sure all your account balances and holdings are accurate and you work your way up the learning curve of Quicken Mac. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    When you "subscribe" - you can run Quicken on either PC or Mac - either one or both -
    just log into the Quicken website - go to your Account area, scroll down - and click Download for either PC or MAC

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you want to use your PC Quicken data file on the Mac?  See this article for converting to another version like from Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac

You can not use the same data file on both.  You are able to convert from Mac to Windows but there is one thing to be aware of. You will not be able to convert investment accounts over to the windows side. Everything else will be able to be converted.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    To summarize the two responses above: yes, you can download and use Quicken Mac as part of your current subscription, in addition to or instead of Quicken Windows. And you can transfer your Quicken Windows data file to Quicken Mac (there are some caveats about what doesn't transfer), but it's a one-way trip as you can't go back from Mac to Windows. You may want to convert your data and use the Windows and Mac version in parallel for a short time while you make sure all your account balances and holdings are accurate and you work your way up the learning curve of Quicken Mac. 
  • Henry Smith
    Henry Smith Member
    Thank you Jacob:
    This was the explanationI I was hoping for. I didn't want to forfeit 6 months of paid subscription of the pc version if I didn't need to. I will download the MAC version and play with it before abandoning the pc version.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Henry Smith said:  I will download the MAC version and play with it before abandoning the PC version.
    just a note - the MAC version is different than the PC version, and lacks some features and capabilities from the PC version.  Also, the QDF file is not easily ported from system to system.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• lcclark
    lcclark Member
    I'm trying to convert from Win to Mac, but my budget didn't port over. Is there a way to transfer my current budget?
  • jacobs
    No, sorry, budgets do not carry over from Windows to Mac.
This discussion has been closed.