reconcile

Options
Tuli
Tuli Member ✭✭
When I reconcile i get a different amount in the opening balance as my statement when lat month i had the right amount by the closing statement

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.

Answers

• Tuli
    Tuli Member ✭✭
    Options
    After exploring I see that a few backups back like almost 1 month it does have the right amounts and this issue I see now for 2 checking accounts. Don't know how many more accounts have this issue.
    Lastly how do find where the problem is so I can fix it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Tuli
    Tuli Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you will try. But this has happened in 2 different checking accounts and the numbers are different in each account.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The opening balance number you see when you begin a reconciliation is a calculated number, not a number Quicken carries around in its data.  It's the sum of every single transaction before the statement date that has an "R" in the Clr column. 
    Accordingly, if the opening balance number is wrong when you begin a reconciliation it indicates that some transaction that had an "R" in the Clr column when you last reconciled has been deleted, or the dollar amount changed, or that a new transaction with an "R" in the Clr column has been inserted into the register.
    There's only two ways of fixing this problem.  The first is to figure out what happened and fix it and the second is to allow Quicken to "plug" a number into the register to get that balance correct. 
    You say that two Accounts are involved here that at least suggests that the issue might have arisen because of a transaction - maybe a split transaction - that involved a transfer between the two Accounts, so that might be the first place to look.
  • Tuli
    Tuli Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Sherlock. Did print them and found the mistake on each account separately so no they weren't 1 issue as a split transaction just 2 different issues but resolved.

Thanks all for helping
This discussion has been closed.