How to set up Truist

Truist switched my online BB&T account to the Truist account today and I can no longer download transactions.

Best Answer

  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nothing, it was straight forward. I had Quicken open and clicked on the link. When it confirmed Registration I returned to Quicken and set up Online Transactions for my checking with my BB&T password and it recognized all my BB&T accounts.
«1

Answers

  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find any reference to "Truist" in fidir.txt, the list of all financial institutions that allow connections with Quicken.  I'd suggest calling Truist and asking if downloads into Quicken are or will be available.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Truist does not support Quicken (it is not included in the FIDIR.txt list).  Unless and until Truist contracts with Quicken you will not be able to directly download from Truist into Quicken.
    But it does not appear to me that neither BB&T nor SunTrust have merged their operations into Truist, yet.  When I go to Truist.com and click on Log In it gives two options for logging in:  BB&T and SunTrust.  It does not yet give an option for logging into Truist.com.  And for all their online services links that I clicked on at Truist.com I was pointed back toward BBT.com and SunTrust.com. 
    When I went to the BBT.com website it appears that all the website functionality for BB&T remains intact.
    Have you tried to log in to your BBT.com online account?  If so, were you successful in logging in and once you are logged in does the URL say you are logged in on BBT.com or Truist.com?
    If it says you are logged in on BBT.com then I think this is something other than a Truist issue.  Are you getting any error messages when you try to run OSU?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R42.21 on Windows 10)
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    When I login to BBT it sends me to the Truist URL. I've tried manually downloading transactions but Quicken won't recognize the institution when I try to open the download file. I get an error during update that BBT requests I change my password which I did but it still gives me the same error when I try to update. This sounds like a Truist issue so I will contact them. Thanks!
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    truist is in the first stages of migrating customers from BBT and Suntrust to a new platform.... I wonder if it's a detail Truist 'forgot' to inform Quicken about.  Normally when two banks merge, they move customers to one of the two existing platforms, so it just naturally flows throught the existing Quicken process. 

    It appears from what I've read in the press, BBT and Suntrust customers are being moved to a new platform, therefore this new platform needs to be added to the Quicken process.

    I would encourage calling the 800 number provided by Truist as part of the migration and register the complaint. 
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @Ajamas - Contacting Truist is the right approach on this.  I agree with @Mark1104 's comments regarding what normally happens during bank mergers and it does sound like something slipped through the cracks at Truist regarding this BB&T/Truist transition.  I've been through several bank mergers over the years and they have all provided detailed instructions to Quicken users regarding how to navigate the merger and that should have been provided to you.
    Now I'm getting a little nervous because I have an account with Sun Trust and I'm wondering if I'll run into the same issue when my Sun Trust account transitions to Truist.
    There are quite a few BB&T and Sun Trust customers who use Quicken.  It would be really helpful to them if you would post back here with what you find out from Truist.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R42.21 on Windows 10)
  • galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭
    I just had the BB&T Online banking to Truist migration, too. In the migration, the system required me to change my password. When I try to use Quicken under "BB&T" and use new password, I get ) error (attached):

    I did find this page on Truist online banking, https://bank.truist.com/web/profilesettings/ofxoverview, that maybe you have to have open when registering your account in Quicken, but it didn't work for me.

    Alas, no connection right now.
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    This worked for me. I am now able to update my BB&T accounts. One strange thing I haven't seen before is that it pulled future bill pay transactions to put in the register when they haven't cleared.
  • galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭
    > @Ajamas said:
    > This worked for me. I am now able to update my BB&T accounts. One strange thing I haven't seen before is that it pulled future bill pay transactions to put in the register when they haven't cleared.

    Oh nice, glad it worked for you. Didn't work for me. What else did you do?
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nothing, it was straight forward. I had Quicken open and clicked on the link. When it confirmed Registration I returned to Quicken and set up Online Transactions for my checking with my BB&T password and it recognized all my BB&T accounts.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajamas said:
    This worked for me. I am now able to update my BB&T accounts. One strange thing I haven't seen before is that it pulled future bill pay transactions to put in the register when they haven't cleared.
    I'm glad to hear it worked for you.  That is encouraging.  It sounds like Truist is still using the old BB&T link for downloading into Quicken which would explain why they have not set up any detailed transition instructions.
    But regarding the future bill pay transactions:  Were they simply entered into the register or were they entered as cleared transactions?
    I get future scheduled bill pay transactions entered into my checking account register by BBVA and Midland States Bank.  As long as those transactions are simply register entries (like if you were to manually enter a future transaction in the register) that is OK.  I actually prefer that than to not have it in the register until after it is paid.  But if those future bill pay transactions were entered as cleared transactions that should not have happened and would be a problem.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R42.21 on Windows 10)
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I haven't accepted them into the registry yet. I'll give that a shot and see what happens when the transactions clear my account. When I accepted them they show as pending so that's great.
  • galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭
    I was able to get everything set up except my BB&T/Truist mortgage (which worked before.) Anyone else able to get their mortgage set up?
  • Euro
    Euro Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Truist is not on the approved FI list. I can't find anything in this forum around Truist and Qicken for MAC
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Euro said:
    Truist is not on the approved FI list. I can't find anything in this forum around Truist and Quicken for MAC
    Are you using Quicken for Mac ?

    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Euro
    Euro Member ✭✭
    yes. Version 6.3.1
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @Euro - Did you try doing what others in this thread said worked for them?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R42.21 on Windows 10)
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    > @Ajamas said:
    > Nothing, it was straight forward. I had Quicken open and clicked on the link. When it confirmed Registration I returned to Quicken and set up Online Transactions for my checking with my BB&T password and it recognized all my BB&T accounts.

    Clicked on what link? Sorry I don't understand. Did you subscribe to paid Direct Connect?
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    @rlw6534 I had quicken open and clicked on this link. https://bank.truist.com/web/profilesettings/ofxoverview
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    > @Ajamas said:
    > @rlw6534 I had quicken open and clicked on this link. https://bank.truist.com/web/profilesettings/ofxoverview

    Are you saying you signed up for the $7.95 per month service? I was previously able to use "Quicken Connect" for free at BB&T, no fee.
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    @rlw6534 No. I'm still using it free by following the above instructions.
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    > @Ajamas said:
    > @rlw6534 No. I'm still using it free by following the above instructions.

    The link just opens a web page that shows how to subscribe to the $7.95 "Quicken Direct Connect" service. There must be more to it than that. Maybe you have a premium account that offers the service for free?. I just have senior checking (free). Oddly the page still says that "Quicken Connect" (Mac) or "Express Web Connect" (Windows) are still available. You must be using "Quicken Direct Connect" which for me requires a subscription fee. Or maybe I'm just confused.
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    I'm confused as well. In Quicken under the Online Services for my BB&T account it shows this
    "Financial Institution: BB&T - Online Banking
    Connection Method: Direct Connect." .
    I've never paid for this service.


    Also when I click on the link above I get this screen that shows where I registered this year.

    Register data files
    Please upload at least one data file to start syncing your account with Quicken or QuickBooks.

    Quicken Windows 2017 registered February 05, 2018 at 4:58 PM ET
    Quicken Windows 2018 registered August 06, 2021 at 10:46 AM ET
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Ajamas said:
    > I'm confused as well. In Quicken under the Online Services for my BB&T account it shows this
    > "Financial Institution: BB&T - Online Banking
    > Connection Method: Direct Connect." .
    > I've never paid for this service.
    >
    >
    > Also when I click on the link above I get this screen that shows where I registered this year.
    >
    > Register data files
    > Please upload at least one data file to start syncing your account with Quicken or QuickBooks.
    >
    > Quicken Windows 2017 registered February 05, 2018 at 4:58 PM ET
    > Quicken Windows 2018 registered August 06, 2021 at 10:46 AM ET

    Thank you for trying to help! You are using the "Direct Connect" service which for me would cost $7.95 per month. I suspect you have an account that comes with this service for no fee. I am retired and have what is called Senior Checking, a basic account with $1000 minimum balance to avoid fees. With BB&T I could access my account with "Quicken Connect", which was free. That is no longer working since the Truist transition. Maybe it will work sometime in the future. Or maybe I take my business somewhere else.

    I have noticed that there appears to be no support whatsoever from Truist or Intuit on this issue.
  • Ajamas
    Ajamas Member ✭✭
    > @rlw6534 said:
    >
    > Thank you for trying to help! You are using the "Direct Connect" service which for me would cost $7.95 per month. I suspect you have an account that comes with this service for no fee. I am retired and have what is called Senior Checking, a basic account with $1000 minimum balance to avoid fees. With BB&T I could access my account with "Quicken Connect", which was free. That is no longer working since the Truist transition. Maybe it will work sometime in the future. Or maybe I take my business somewhere else.
    >
    > I have noticed that there appears to be no support whatsoever from Truist or Intuit on this issue.
    >
    >
    You are welcome. And yes, the support they offer is minimal and I had already started looking else where for a banking solution. I may still do that.
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure why this thread is marked as answered as Quicken Connect, Web Connect and Express Web Connect are clearly not working for Truist.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rlw6534 said:
    I'm not sure why this thread is marked as answered as Quicken Connect, Web Connect and Express Web Connect are clearly not working for Truist.
    This is a thread for Quicken Windows.  Your issue is with Quicken Mac.  I suggest you start a thread under Quicken Mac and perhaps you someone will reply with a solution that works for you.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R42.21 on Windows 10)
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > This is a thread for Quicken Windows.  Your issue is with Quicken Mac.  I suggest you start a thread under Quicken Mac and perhaps you someone will reply with a solution that works for you.

    It doesn't work on Windows either (I have both Windows and Mac). I tried both Express Connect and Web Connect on Windows and Quicken Connect on Mac. These all worked with BB&T.
  • galojah
    galojah Member ✭✭
    I suspect the issue is not OS-specific. I am on Quicken for Mac and was able to get Truist to work. I had to remove online connections to all my BB&T accounts, use the link above, and then reconnect my accounts in Quicken. Everything works now except my Mortgage. It is not syncing.
  • rlw6534
    rlw6534 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @galojah said:
    > I suspect the issue is not OS-specific. I am on Quicken for Mac and was able to get Truist to work. I had to remove online connections to all my BB&T accounts, use the link above, and then reconnect my accounts in Quicken. Everything works now except my Mortgage. It is not syncing.

    Yes, I believe the Direct Connect service is working, which is only available for a $7.95/mo subscription fee (or free on very high balance accounts). At BB&T the Express Web Connect and Web Connect (called Quicken Connect for Mac) were also working which did not require a monthly subscription fee. I was using it until this week when it stopped working.

    I suspect both Intuit and Truist are well aware of this issue, but, aren't commenting for some reason.