An internal error occurred while initiating One Step Update

KT_WA
KT_WA Member
I just got a new computer and installed Quicken. I restored my file and it opens but when I try and update it gives me the above error. I have signed out and signed in a number of times, reset my password, closed and opened the program and tried all things again but nothing works. Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @KT_WA

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

It looks like even though you have signed out and back in each time the file may not be connecting the server still. As such we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to double check if that is the case and also perform additional troubleshooting steps with you. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Are you able to successfully set up a new data file (File > New Quicken File (name it "Test" or whatever other unique name you want) > log in with your current Quicken ID and PW > No need to set up any accounts)?
    If not, then I am wondering if perhaps the Quicken installation did not complete properly and you might want to consider uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it.
    A couple of things that could help to ensure the reinstallation goes well:
    • Download a fresh copy of Quicken (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it).  It does sometimes happen when downloading a file that the download was corrupted so getting a fresh downloaded copy will usually resolve that issue.
    • Temporarily turn off your anti-virus program just before starting the installation.  Once installed, turn it back on.  It is known that anti-virus programs can sometimes interfere with installation of programs (and not just with Quicken).
    If you are able to successfully set up a new data file, then it could be that your Cloud Account is out of sync with the Quicken installation and data file or it is corrupted.  To fix this: 
    • In your main data file:  Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = On > Reset your cloud data > yes > Reset > Continue.  When the Reset process is completed, turn off Sync if you do not use or plan to use Mobile and/or Web.  Then check to see if the data file is now functioning properly.  If it does not...
    • In your new data file:   Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = On > OK > Edit > Preferences > Cloud ID & Cloud Accounts > Cloud accounts associated with this ID > click on the Cloud Account that is associated with your main Quicken data file > Delete > yes > Close > Mobile & Web > Sync = Off > OK > File > open your main data file > log in with your current Quicken ID and PW.  Quicken will now recreate the deleted Cloud Account and do an initial sync with it.
    Did any of these things resolve the issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    I'm having the exact same issue as KT; new computer, transferred over the backup file. I did call tech support and the gent walked me thru setting up the dummy account and I was able to contact the bank via one step update. (also deleted the Intuit and Quicken folders in appdata)

He suggested I create a new backup file from my old laptop and open that. Just tried, and get the same error - though with the dummy acct, I could successfully do the One Step Update.

So, I figured I would go to my old laptop and do the One Step, up date my accounts and transfer over the back up.... But now I get the error on my old laptop also.

I did find this thread before I made the call to Tech Support, so I'm guessing my next step is to uninstall and reinstall the program?

Ant other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tcs

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience, although I'm sorry to hear you unable to restore the backup file on the new computer.

May I ask, on the old computer, what is the currently installed version of Quicken?  If you aren't sure, to find this information, open Quicken on the old computer, go to the Help menu >About Quicken.

If the version is R34.24, what steps did you take to create the backup copy?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    yes, the versions are the same. and for creating a backup, Crtl+B
    The Dell, older laptop worked fine, including One Step Backup, until I set up the new one.

After setting up my new laptop, I did nothing to the Quicken file/program on my Dell until I attempted to see if it would allow me to download my transactions via One Step. So now neither of them work, but I can access my transactions via One-Step using a dummy account.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Are you able to successfully set up a new data file (File

> If you are able to successfully set up a new data file, then it could be that your
    > Cloud Account is out of sync with the Quicken installation and data file
    > or it is corrupted. 

I never set up the cloud account. I would back up to a portable hard drive.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    tcs said:
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Are you able to successfully set up a new data file (File

> If you are able to successfully set up a new data file, then it could be that your
    > Cloud Account is out of sync with the Quicken installation and data file
    > or it is corrupted. 

I never set up the cloud account. I would back up to a portable hard drive.
    Everyone who has a Quicken ID and a data file has a Cloud Account.  If Mobile & Web Sync is turned off, our financial data is not saved in the Cloud Account but that Cloud Account is still active for some non-financial things like our Quicken.com account being able to tell our installation that it has a valid license and which edition we have a subscription for so it knows which features are to be turned on or off.  The Cloud Account is linked to a specific data file (as well as copies and backups of that data file).  Every time we create a new data file we create a new Cloud Account.  There is no way to stop creation of Cloud Accounts but we can determine how much data is saved there by turning Mobile & Web Sync off or on.
    Just as a side note, the Cloud Account is not a back up service.  It does not save entire data files or back-ups of them.
    When we install Quicken on a different computer and move the data file to that new computer sometimes the Cloud Account and the data file get out of sync or the Cloud Account can get corrupted. When the Cloud Account gets out of sync or corrupted it can cause all kinds of connection issues and can prevent Quicken from functioning properly.
    One way to fix such an issue is to Reset the Data in the Cloud Account from within your main data file.  During the process Quicken will re-sync with the Cloud Account.
    If Resetting doesn't work, then the next step would be to try deleting the Cloud Account.  This can only be done from a different data file with a different Cloud Account.  That is the reason why I'd mentioned earlier that a new data file needs to be created with which the main data file Cloud Account can be deleted.  Then when we open the main data file, again, Quicken will recreate the Cloud Account for it.
    The issue you and the person who started this thread are having might be caused by this Cloud Account sync or corruption issue or it might be caused by something else.  Taking these steps with the Cloud Account is relatively quick and risk free and it might just resolve your issue.  If they do not, then we can try other troubleshooting steps.

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Everyone who has a Quicken ID and a data file has a Cloud Account. 

thanks for the response. I had no idea. How do I access this cloud account?

Images attached: What I see when I attempt to access things in Preferences.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    tcs said:
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Everyone who has a Quicken ID and a data file has a Cloud Account. 

thanks for the response. I had no idea. How do I access this cloud account?

Images attached: What I see when I attempt to access things in Preferences.
    Click the link below, and log out, and then back in with your Quicken Id.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Per those pics you posted, it looks like you are not signed into Quicken.  You need to be signed into Quicken in order to do this. 
    If you click on "Try Again" perhaps that will get you logged in. 
    If it does not try clicking on the"Sign in using a different Quicken ID" link and follow the prompts to sign out.  When you are prompted to sign in, do so with your current Quicken ID and PW.
    If you still cannot sign in it is a good indication that your Cloud Account is probably corrupted.  Then follow the steps I spelled out above to:
    1. Open a new Quicken file (no need to add any accounts):  Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = On > OK > Edit > Preferences > Cloud ID & Cloud Accounts > Cloud accounts associated with this ID > click on the Cloud Account that is associated with your main Quicken data file > Delete > yes > Close > Mobile & Web > Sync = Off > OK
    2. Then:  File > open your old main data file > log in with your current Quicken ID and PW.  During this process, Quicken will set up a new Data File for it. 
    3. Try running OSU and/or setting up your accounts for download.

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Per those pics you posted, it looks like you are not signed into Quicken.  You need to be signed into Quicken in order to do this. 
    > If you click on "Try Again" perhaps that will get you logged in. 
    >
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    I've done the log out and relog in at least 10 times. still nothing.
    WIth it being the weekend and I had a 700+ mile day of travel - I have not had time to call Tech Support back, I plan to do that tomorrow.

I will follow your steps to see how that works, the tech guy did have me create a dummy account where I could access my back via the One Step for downloading transactions.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    i walked thru the steps and do not get that warm fuzzy feeling. What info is lost? it states I will have to re-enter data for banking etc.

will my 25 yrs of information be gone?
  • Boatnmaniac
    tcs said:
    i walked thru the steps and do not get that warm fuzzy feeling. What info is lost? it states I will have to re-enter data for banking etc.

will my 25 yrs of information be gone?
    No, you will not lose any data in your Quicken file.  Deleting the Cloud Account will break the connections your data file has with Quicken.com, Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web.  When the Cloud Account gets recreated the connection with Quicken.com will be reestablished.  Financial accounts in Mobile and Web (if these functions are used) will need to be set up, again, but that has absolutely no impact on what is in your data file.  I have deleted Cloud Accounts for both my main data files and for test files many times with absolutely no issues observed.
    If you want to feel more confident, back up your data file before proceeding. It is always a good idea to backup your data file before making any changes anyway but deleting the Cloud Account is one of the more benign troubleshooting process that can be made because it is not part of the data file.
    Also, you might want to read the following Support article: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows.  There are absolutely no risks or cautions raised regarding deleting Cloud Accounts.

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Followed all the steps, still does not work.

When I was on the phone with Tech Support, the guy had me create a dummy account, but it was tied to my bank, and did download transactions, file name 812

So, when I was in the Edit | Preferences | Cloud Account,
    it listed both accounts, now it only shows the one (812) and my main file with all my information, is not listed even though I re-logged in.

When I open the file, it's the same; still can't connect but now it does not show up under "my account" when logged in to file 812. This "dummy" account, 812 does have all my personal contact info, i just cropped it out of the image.

Any other suggestions? and I really do appreciate your help.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Click the link below, and log out, and then back in with your Quicken Id.

Thanks for your response; tried this many times and still can not connect with my main Quicken account. (I have a dummy account I can connect with)
  • KT_WA
    KT_WA Member
    I finally called tech support and after 2 hours of doing random crap she finally told me my file was corrupted and had too many years and I would have to start a new one. 20+ years of history but she said I don't need it, only 5 or less to be functional. I never had any problems before the new company purchased Quicken so I can only surmise has to do with that and the subscription model. I haven't tried the cloud account thing so will try that but not hopeful.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    > @KT_WA said:
    > I finally called tech support and after 2 hours of doing random crap she finally told me my file was corrupted and had too many years and I would have to start a new one. 20+ years of history but she said I don't need it, only 5 or less to be functional. I never had any problems before the new company purchased Quicken so I can only surmise has to do with that and the subscription model. I haven't tried the cloud account thing so will try that but not hopeful.

KT - I'm glad you responded with your "results", I'm hoping that will not be the same for me as it's 25 yrs of info.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like Quicken Support's "I give up answer".  As in there isn't any proof whatsoever that amount/years of data would cause these problems.  My data goes back to 1996 and others have data that goes back even farther.
    Signature:
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Sounds like Quicken Support's "I give up answer".  As in there isn't any proof whatsoever that amount/years of data would cause these problems.  My data goes back to 1996 and others have data that goes back even farther.

Glad to hear that, as mine also goes back to `96

And as for not needing financials more than 5 yrs, it's more to me than that... when my DH says.... when and from where did I buy "this"? I can always dig that up.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    been on with Tech Support an hour so far....
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    I just got the "i'm so sorry, but there's nothing I can do, your file is corrupted"

He did walk me thru other steps the first guy didn't including a file validator, and attempting to "add an account" - which nothing came up, just the flash of the hour glass, then nothing.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW @Boatnmaniac

Any idea if I can export the data from the fire that no longer works (my main huge file) and import it into the new dummy file??

my choices are QIF or QXF (transfer format)

I guess when it all boils down to it, starting over wouldn't kill me, just a lot of work I had not intended on doing. All the other times I've done this (setting up new PC and importing file) it's been flawless.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't exactly easy, but the data can be transferred to another data file using this method and a QIF file.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

QXF is usually a non starter for most people since Quicken Windows' QXF importer will not import any investment transactions.
    Signature:
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @KT_WA

I have found that I can export all my banks accounts; cash, savings, checking, cc etc and import the data into that dummy account I made. It's tedious, but it's working. (Over the past 25 years, I've created about 15 various accounts)

In the file that will not connect to the bank, I open each account (checking, savings, etc) and export (File | Export) and choose QIF for the export. I've only done half so far. But then I open my dummy (new) file and import each QIF file into the proper account.

Hope this helps you if you want to continue with your original date file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    tcs said:
    Followed all the steps, still does not work.

When I was on the phone with Tech Support, the guy had me create a dummy account, but it was tied to my bank, and did download transactions, file name 812

So, when I was in the Edit | Preferences | Cloud Account,
    it listed both accounts, now it only shows the one (812) and my main file with all my information, is not listed even though I re-logged in.

When I open the file, it's the same; still can't connect but now it does not show up under "my account" when logged in to file 812. This "dummy" account, 812 does have all my personal contact info, i just cropped it out of the image.

Any other suggestions? and I really do appreciate your help.
    Sorry about taking so long to get back to you but I've been tied up on something all day.
    You certainly can go down that path of transferring data from your main file to you 812 file.  I've had to do that a few times over the years and it works but it does take a fair amount of time and effort to complete.  That being said, while your data file might indeed be corrupted, I doubt that it is.
    In the post above you said you followed all the steps.  But you were not clear about what steps you actually took.  Did you just try Resetting your main data file Cloud Account or did you also try Deleting the Cloud Account for your main data file?
    Your post also left me a little confused because of that picture file you attached to it.  That picture file shows the Cloud Account Details for your 812 file and you said you could not see your main data file Cloud Account data.  But Cloud Account Details will only show the Cloud Account information for the data file that is open...it will never show Cloud Account information for a different data file.
    To see other Cloud Accounts you have you need to click on the blue font link highlighted below in yellow that says Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID.
    Once you have clicked on that blue font link you will get this following view where you can select and delete Cloud Accounts.  Look in the File Name column for the name of your main data file.  Do you see your main data name listed there?  Did you previously delete it (from your 812 test file or some other test file)?
    If you did not do that, click on your main data file name, click on Delete, follow the prompts and then click on Close. 
    Then open your main data file and sign in.  Quicken will then recreate the Cloud Account for it.
    You might ask why I keep pushing this.  It's because I have seen others who have had an issue similar to yours and Resetting the Cloud Account or Deleting the Cloud Account often fixed the issue for them.

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW , sorry I did not see your reply until now. I'm doing the tedious manual adding of accounts, it's slow, but it's working. Coupla screw ups where I had to delete and re-add the account, but I'll get there. I have all the current files there and just have to replace a few of my "closed" accounts.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    >>Sorry about taking so long to get back to you but I've been tied up on something all day.

No worries, everyone has a life outside of the internet. ;-)

>>In the post above you said you followed all the steps. But you were not clear about what steps you actually took.

Working on this hours over a 3 day period, I've tried quite a bit with Tech Support (2 times) and following suggestions in this thread, some multiple times. SO much of it is a blur.

>>Did you just try Resetting your main data file Cloud Account or did you also try Deleting the Cloud Account for your main data file?

Yes, both, and resetting multiple times.

>>Your post also left me a little confused because of that picture file you attached to it. That picture file shows the Cloud Account Details for your 812 file and you said you could not see your main data file Cloud Account data.

Under my main file, I could not view any data, I"d get an error window (posted above as an attachment) stating they could not retrieve my cloud account information. So to view any info, I would have to be using the file 812, where it showed 812 and my original/main file

>>But Cloud Account Details will only show the Cloud Account information for the data file that is open...it will never show Cloud Account information for a different data file.
    To see other Cloud Accounts you have you need to click on the blue font link highlighted below in yellow that says Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID.

OK, maybe that was where I saw them both listed, and was able to delete the main file.

>>Once you have clicked on that blue font link you will get this following view where you can select and delete Cloud Accounts. Look in the File Name column for the name of your main data file. Do you see your main data name listed there? Did you previously delete it (from your 812 test file or some other test file)?
    If you did not do that, click on your main data file name, click on Delete, follow the prompts and then click on Close.
    Then open your main data file and sign in. Quicken will then recreate the Cloud Account for it.
    You might ask why I keep pushing this. It's because I have seen others who have had an issue similar to yours and Resetting the Cloud Account or Deleting the Cloud Account often fixed the issue for them.

Yes, did all of that. and when i re-entered my ID and password, said it could not retrieve my cloud account information.

And, I understand the "pushing", hopefully this will help others. I too think that the file is not corrupt, I think the guy just didn't know where to go from there.

I appreciate all the help I've received.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome @tcs .  I wish I could have been of more help.  Anyway, I'm glad you are able to reconstruct your data in your 812 file.

• KT_WA
    KT_WA Member
    When I go to the preferences I don't have the option to see datasets. And I have tried a bit of importing but so far they are a pretty big mess. I'll finish all of the accounts and see where I get in the end.
This discussion has been closed.