Vanguard Compare Portfolio

nooncaster
nooncaster Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I have the latest version of Quicken for Windows and a couple of vanguard brokerage accounts. When I use reconcile shares i get a "mismatch" or "old" holdings according to the downloaded portfolio information. Although, I regularly download and keep the accounts updated -- the portfolio (via online center -- FI=vanguard -- holdings is out of date. When I go to reconcile, i receive the message "it has been more than 90 days since you downloaded from your brokerage". Although, that may be true of the holdings -- the account has downloaded many transactions and is current.

Suggestion on how to "refresh" the portfolio holding in the reconcile share procedure?

Thanks

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @nooncaster

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your account. I wonder if were were to reset the account if it would be considered updated. It should be considered updated since it's download again. You should be able to do so by right clicking on the account under the account bar and selecting edit/delete account. Select the online services tab. Click reset in the online setup.

Once you've done so see if you're still having the same issue. If you are please let us know and we'll see what we can attempt next in order to resolve the issue you're having.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    I tried to reset each of the 2 Vanguard accounts without any changes to my issue. I went one step further to disable and reenable the online services, again without any changes.
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    No further responses?
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Use Tools>Online Center, Compare to Portfolio to find the mismatched securities share balances. Then fix them manually.
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    Can you explain -- "fix them manually"?
    My entries are correct (as reflected by my holding report)-- Quicken has old or incorrect portfolio share balances.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean by the "holding report".

Click on the Holdings button when viewing the account and set the As of date to the date of your most recent statement. Do the the securities and share quantities match the statement?

If not, go back in time and compare to earlier statements until you find when the balances agree. Then go forward, comparing the transactions in Quicken to those on your statements and correct any problems.

But first, make sure any Placeholders are visible by going to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and making sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. If you have Placeholders, resolving them will help clear up the missing or incorrect transactions.

As always, back up your data file before changing historical data, so you can revert if something goes wrong.

QWin Premier subscription
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    "Click on the Holdings button when viewing the account and set the As of date to the date of your most recent statement. Do the the securities and share quantities match the statement?"

Yes

But when I go to "reconcile shares" the "internal" portfolio is not in agreement with the statement.
  • Jim_Harman
    What sort of disagreement are you seeing when you do the Reconcile shares? Is it small fractions of a share, as might be caused by a round-off error?

Are there 2 similar securities where Quicken says you have XXX.YYY shares of one but Vanguard says you have XXX.YYY of the other? This would indicate a security mismatch error or might be the result of a share class conversion.

Is the Vanguard share balance a few days out of date, after a dividend reinvestment for example?

Please give an example, obscuring any personal info.
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    My problem is your second example--

"Are there 2 similar securities where Quicken says you have XXX.YYY shares of one but Vanguard says you have XXX.YYY of the other? This would indicate a security mismatch error or might be the result of a share class conversion."

How do I fix that?
  • Jim_Harman
    edited August 2021
    OK, is one of the securities like XYZ Fund Investor shares and the other like XYZ Fund Admiral shares, or are they completely separate securities? 

And are the share counts exactly the same or are they slightly different?

And how long has this been going on?
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    Let's start simple--

I have a small brokerage account with money in a money market.

I sold one MM and bought another. Now Quicken still thinks I have the old one. Shares are right amount.

When I try to reconcile -- Quicken tells me I haven't downloaded transactions.
  • markus1957
    I suspect when you bought the new MMF you indicated in the pop up window that the new holding was the same as the old holding so Quicken linked them as one. 

You could uncheck the matched with online security box in Security Details for both MMFs. If you are lucky Quicken might unwind the link, but you may have to go back to the date of the Sell old and Buy new and manually change the security for each transaction going forward.
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure I follow all of those instructions--

I did unmatch the security. Then when I downloaded the account again it asks me to link to the existing security, which I did. That did not fix the problem.

You further say "go back to the date of the Sell old and Buy new and manually change the security"

Those transactions have the correct security listed. What do I change them to?
  • markus1957
    Looks like you made the same mistake again. You should respond "No" to the link question since you have stated they are not the same and do not want to treat them as the same.

When you say No, Quicken will establish the new MMF as a holding and it might assign the new MMF to the transactions since the original Buy. But it might not, you might see Unknown Security, then you have to do that manually for each transaction.

If the transactions since the original Sell/Buy have the correct security listed, then after unlinking them and replying NO to the next prompt for the link, the holdings should match  when you do a Compare Portfolio in Online Center.