Error message "unable to open source file"when trying to backup data file.

Options
Quicken installed on a new Windows 10 PC. Latest backup file loaded ok. When trying to make a backup for the first time on this new PC error "unable to open source file" appears. Clicking OK shows new message:"Quicken cannot open data filke because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again. Clicking OK shows "Unable to re-load current file after copy."
I am using dropbox and Norton 360 is installed.

Question: How do I solve this.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are keeping the data file in a DropBox watched folder, that is the problem.  To do a backup, Quicken closes the file, does the backup and then reopens the file, DropBox is grabbing the file when it shouldn't and preventing Quicken from accessing it.
    You need to either move the data file from the watched folder or turn off DropBox when using Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive as well?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are keeping the data file in a DropBox watched folder, that is the problem.  To do a backup, Quicken closes the file, does the backup and then reopens the file, DropBox is grabbing the file when it shouldn't and preventing Quicken from accessing it.
    You need to either move the data file from the watched folder or turn off DropBox when using Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DeGheyn
    DeGheyn Member
    Options
    Thank you. What I did was first select an unwatched by dropbox folder. I also deleted the folders in dropbox. I could then successfully make a backup in the new created unwatched folder. After this I again setup a backup folder in dropbox. Changed the backup to that dropbox folder and quicken accepted this dropbox folder to make the backup.
This discussion has been closed.