Since the latest update, I can only backup or copy file. How do I save an open file to a new date??

I've used Quicken for Windows for years. Open a file, update and close to a new name.
click file - save as - select name etc. and can open saved file. After latest update, the options under file are backup, copy, file export etc.
Where and how can I save an open file to a new date?
Example- open file name1 want to save as name2?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @dave08005,

Under the new Quicken menu - you'll need to decide if you want the "copy" to be "connected" to your downloading and bill payment nd other online services or not.  If you don't need the connections in the new file, you can use the "Create a copy or template" option.  If you want to keep the new file "connected", then you'll need to create a Backup file (by clicking on the "Create a complete backup" button'

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    One way to achieve the equivalent functionality is to select File > Show this file on my computer, exit Quicken, press Ctrl + CCtrl + VF2, enter the new name, press Enter and open the desired Quicken file.

Note: Don't perform the copy if Quicken may be performing a scheduled update.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dave08005 said:
    I've used Quicken for Windows for years. Open a file, update and close to a new name.
    I've never understood the reasoning for doing this ....
    What file do you then open the next time you use Quicken -
    What about if you ever want to use the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web ?

If you want a Backup - then there are TWO Quicken backup functions.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @dave08005,

Under the new Quicken menu - you'll need to decide if you want the "copy" to be "connected" to your downloading and bill payment nd other online services or not.  If you don't need the connections in the new file, you can use the "Create a copy or template" option.  If you want to keep the new file "connected", then you'll need to create a Backup file (by clicking on the "Create a complete backup" button'

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• dave08005
    dave08005 Member
    Thanks Frank, So there is no longer a file/save/save as new file name process... much simpler than the new upgrade..
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    One way to achieve the equivalent functionality is to select File > Show this file on my computer, exit Quicken, press Ctrl + CCtrl + VF2, enter the new name, press Enter and open the desired Quicken file.

Note: Don't perform the copy if Quicken may be performing a scheduled update.
  • dave08005
    dave08005 Member
    Perfect! Thank you
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dave08005 said:
    I've never understood the reasoning for doing this ....
    What file do you then open the next time you use Quicken -
    What about if you ever want to use the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web ?

If you want a Backup - then there are TWO Quicken backup functions.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• dave08005
    dave08005 Member
    Thanks Ps56k2- I rather use old fashioned laptop at home through my network VPN and one institution than the app.
    I do a full quicken backup once a month to a server and a HD (never connected to web). I log onto the back, download the file and do everything offline. Save to SD or cloud as newfile and open that next time I connect. This is overkill but ID hacked in 2010 and this is worth the effort.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have modified my earlier response to eliminate the possibility that Quicken may update the Quicken file as it is being copied.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    dave08005 said:  - I rather use old fashioned laptop at home .....
    Again - still don't understand why you want to save with a different name -
    the Quicken backups will give you all that.
    I have one QDF file that is my Quicken data file.
    I have several Quicken auto backups taken every 4 open/closes of Quicken.... date/time stamped file names.
    I have several Quicken manual backups taken every 6 closes of Quicken ... date stamped file names.
    Then my Windows /Documents/ folder is totally backed up to alternating external 2TB USB drives -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• I share dave08005's pain. I too have been using Quicken for years. Since before you could only get it by buying the CD.
    Since then every "improvement" has been made as though their only customers are computer gurus with access to and knowledge of all the latest tech. That is not me, so nearly every time they "improve" it I have waste time struggling how to figure out how to use it.

Years ago I was burned by relying on a back up file. I do not remember exactly what happened. But remember being on the phone with tech sport several hour and several times. In the end I had to start all over because the "backup file" contained so many errors. Some how the tech support gained access to the backup file folder and that was part of the problem plus I believe the problem also had something to do with internet access. I live in a very rural area with very sketch internet access.

So every month I have been saving a copy of my current file, naming it the by month and year and then saving it in a file folder in my documents folder that that is labeled "keep from Quicken". Therefore I was thrilled to learn that some pinhead decided to "improve" Quicken by preventing me from continuing to do so. I guess now I have to make a backup, then use file manger to rename it and move it out of the Quicken folder. Or memorize some secret key combination (I often wonder what drives people to learn and memorize that). Or rely on the backup working as intended.

Soon some genius is going to "improve" the keyboard by rearranging the letters.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭

You do know they have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_keyboard_layout
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:

You do know they have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_keyboard_layout
    Not to mention some of the funny keyboards on phones so that people can type with their thumbs.   ;)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/