The "Starter" version

bggage
bggage Member
edited May 2022 in Before you Buy
In the "Starter" version, can you download credit card transactions?

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Saving, Checking, Credit and cash are the only types of accounts that Starter Edition supports.  The first three can be downloaded and imported into Quicken if the financial institution supports it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    awisdom01 said:
    If I buy the Starter Edition, but want to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition, are my data transferable, or must I start over?
    One additional comment:  If you buy Starter and later want to Upgrade you can do that at any time and the amount you will pay for that upgrade (provided you buy it at Quicken.com) will be only the difference between the Starter and Deluxe prices.  And if you later decide you do not like Deluxe you can downgrade back to Starter at any time and get a refund for the difference in prices (I'm assuming it will be prorated).
    You should also note that it is all the same software for Starter, Deluxe, Premium and Home & Business.  The subscription you sign up for simply determines which features are turned on or off.  So, there is no new software to download and install when you upgrade or downgrade.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    One of a couple things that Quicken Starter does not allow you to use is all Tag functions. You can create a tag in the Register, but it is useless because they cannot be used for Find/Repl, Search, or Reports. There are other small things it cannot do also. So beware, as the Matrix Comparison chart between Starter and Deluxe does not list all the differences.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.  Bank and card accounts are supported. BUT NOTE, that if you ever fail to renew your subscription to starter, the data file becomes READ ONLY.  Not even manual input is allowed.
    SO, most of the SuperUsers recommend Deluxe over Starter. 
    See here for a comparison of the various Q products: https://www.quicken.com/compare

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    you might also look at the new Quicken web only product -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Saving, Checking, Credit and cash are the only types of accounts that Starter Edition supports.  The first three can be downloaded and imported into Quicken if the financial institution supports it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• awisdom01
    awisdom01 Member
    If I buy the Starter Edition, but want to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition, are my data transferable, or must I start over?
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    awisdom01 said:
    Your data will be able to transfer. As long as you save a backup you will be able to upgrade and restore your file. 
    Please let us know if you have any issues or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @Quicken Paloma    While backups are always a good idea (and, the more the merrier) why are they needed for a version upgrade?  Can't Deluxe just read the Starter data file?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    awisdom01 said:
    One additional comment:  If you buy Starter and later want to Upgrade you can do that at any time and the amount you will pay for that upgrade (provided you buy it at Quicken.com) will be only the difference between the Starter and Deluxe prices.  And if you later decide you do not like Deluxe you can downgrade back to Starter at any time and get a refund for the difference in prices (I'm assuming it will be prorated).
    You should also note that it is all the same software for Starter, Deluxe, Premium and Home & Business.  The subscription you sign up for simply determines which features are turned on or off.  So, there is no new software to download and install when you upgrade or downgrade.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    One of a couple things that Quicken Starter does not allow you to use is all Tag functions. You can create a tag in the Register, but it is useless because they cannot be used for Find/Repl, Search, or Reports. There are other small things it cannot do also. So beware, as the Matrix Comparison chart between Starter and Deluxe does not list all the differences.
This discussion has been closed.