Quicken crashes when clicking on an account

sdstrader
sdstrader Member ✭✭
I have an account for a previous mortgage which when I click on the account in the account list, or navigate to it through a payment, would cause Quicken to crash. It started in Quicken 2017; I upgraded to 2019 and still had the problem. I have a later edition of Quicken Home & Business (always had Home & Business) R34.24 Build 27.1.34.24. I no longer have that mortgage, so I'm not using the account. But the behavior is still there. Since I'm not using the account, it's not a big issue. I'm wondering if there isn't some other issue waiting to show itself though. When I validate the file, no errors.

Best Answer

• Quicken_Julio
    Quicken_Julio Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @sdstrader,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

If you have already tried validating the file and it's still behaving the same way, I would suggest trying a deeper scrub with a Super Validate to see if there are any lingering errors.

To perform a Super Validate, you would go up to File > Hold CTRL+Shift and select Validate and Repair File > Check the box for Super Validate File > OK.

Once the Super Validation is complete, take a look through the DATA_LOG.TXT file for anything that was repaired. Then close and relaunch Quicken and attempt to access the account once more.

Please feel free to respond to this thread with any additional questions or concerns.

Best,
    JV

Answers

• Quicken_Julio
    Quicken_Julio Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @sdstrader,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

If you have already tried validating the file and it's still behaving the same way, I would suggest trying a deeper scrub with a Super Validate to see if there are any lingering errors.

To perform a Super Validate, you would go up to File > Hold CTRL+Shift and select Validate and Repair File > Check the box for Super Validate File > OK.

Once the Super Validation is complete, take a look through the DATA_LOG.TXT file for anything that was repaired. Then close and relaunch Quicken and attempt to access the account once more.

Please feel free to respond to this thread with any additional questions or concerns.

Best,
    JV
  • klliou
    klliou Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Julio said:
    > Hello @sdstrader,
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.
    >
    > If you have already tried validating the file and it's still behaving the same way, I would suggest trying a deeper scrub with a Super Validate to see if there are any lingering errors.
    >
    > To perform a Super Validate, you would go up to File > Hold CTRL+Shift and select Validate and Repair File > Check the box for Super Validate File > OK.
    >
    > Once the Super Validation is complete, take a look through the DATA_LOG.TXT file for anything that was repaired. Then close and relaunch Quicken and attempt to access the account once more.
    >
    > Please feel free to respond to this thread with any
    > additional questions or concerns.

I am experiencing frequent crashes and out of control self-refreshing (two Quicken processes keep running till I kill one). Really hope the Super Validation will fix them. I have updated to the latest version for Windows 10. Thanks.
  • sdstrader
    sdstrader Member ✭✭
    Thanks Julio! That solved the problem. There were 21 quicken repairs and they were all 'damaged transaction index', 'Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_11b92" 0/ 0/1900.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sdstrader said:
    Thanks Julio! That solved the problem. There were 21 quicken repairs and they were all 'damaged transaction index', 'Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_11b92" 0/ 0/1900.

Please keep an eye on things for a while. Not all structural damage can be repaired by Validate and Supervalidate.
    Do make sure that your settings in Edit / Preferences / Backup are set to create both Automatic and Manual Backups every [1] times you close Quicken. One can never have enough backups of your data file!
This discussion has been closed.