Merge multiple transactions

I need the ability to merge multiple transactions into a single one containing split items. I enter purchases into my checking account for retailers that I do not want to create separate accounts for; eg. Home Depot, Wayfair, etc. When I receive their statement, I want to merge the individual transactions so I can pay the bill. This way, I can still track the individual items, and can pay via my bank.

Seems simple, but I cannot find a way.

(I do NOT need any replies regarding M-A-T-C-Hing transactions, please!)

Windows Quicken H&B.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I don't understand.  What statement do you get?  Are these purchases you are making using a credit card?  Did you set up an Account for the Credit Card?

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category like House repair or Furniture or Kitchen, etc. Then when you pay the credit card bill you just TRANSFER the single payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category).   

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer Mac versions have a separate Transfer column.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What you are describing is impossible, at least automatically, and as @volvogirl points out the wrong way to do it.

There is only two possible ways those transactions are being paid/downloaded.
    1. Payment for a purchase is in the checking account.
    2. Payment for a purchase is in a credit card account.

For #1 there wouldn't be a "bill to pay", and you would be downloading/categorizing the purchases as they are make.

For #2 one might decide (wrongly) that they don't want to maintain an account for each credit card, but instead put all the purchase from a given credit card statement into a split transaction in the register.  Well since in the real world the only transaction that is going to be downloaded is the payment to the credit card to pay for all those purchases, then what one would do is just create a transaction and select split and start entering the purchases.  There would be no need for a "merge" because there won't be any kind of downloading of the individual transactions in register.  And if you are entering this all manually then you should have been just editing the split transaction for each purchase and not putting them in as individual transactions in the register in the first place.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not clear in what account you are entering the transactions that you later want to merge. I had a friend decades ago who wrote his cc purchases in his check register at time of purchase adjusting the balance accordingly. That way he knew he had the money in the bank when it was time to pay the cc bill. Perhaps you are doing something similar. 

A alternative to a separate account for each of these infrequent (?) use accounts — create one manual account for all such cards. Record the individual transactions in that account. When you pay the bill out of your checking account, it is as a transfer to that manual account.